Help please - motor knocking sound in new-to-me '09 R3T

Eagerly waiting the resolution to this issue. Though your engine sounds louder than my 2009 R3T, I don’t hear anything unusual. Mine is a stock sewing machine, though.
Ok did you put 40,000 miles on yours then record yours first then listen for comparison? If not well you get my opinion.

I had a ticking sound on my 2014 R3T most notable on the right side. I couldn't find any exhaust leaks & had 2 different mechanics listen who thought it was nothing, maybe fuel injectors. Recently I took it to the Triumph Stealer to put on a new rear tire & since it had a bit over 10k miles I told em to do whatever for a 10k check up. When I got it home it occured to me that the ticking was gone. My best guess is they adjusted the cam chain tensioner. (Ala Warp 9.9)

They are a smooth running engine, but they have the quirky sounds. 87,000 miles and counting. Noise has been steady...removing the stock intake system for K&N filters exposed more noises that were already there. Removing the secondary plates also exposed more noise that was already there. Normal gear whine/whistle/whinny at idle. Such the lullaby! A cacophony of beautifully choreographed sounds.

Ok did you put 40,000 miles on yours then record yours first then listen for comparison? If not well you get my opinion.

That sounds like a fantastic idea and would also offer a much needed getaway from work and life in general. I was out of town all weekend helping a friend move from Minnesota to Iowa. I am going to try to pull the tensioner tonight and get some measurements. I will let you know what I find out.

Basically this tool is a over priced go/no-go gauge. When the toll has bottomed out the tensioner plunger has dropped 16mm or more and you add a spacer which can be made out of the straight shank of a 3/8 or 10 mm bolt .355" long.

If You have a set of calipers you can measure the drop and no need for the tool.

below is a shot of the tensioner with the plunger totally dropped both face surfaces marked in yellow is the drop measurement we are doing.
Plunger drop alpha.jpg

another shot but with the plunger contracted all the way the ink pen is on the surface that moves
plunger drop brovo.jpg

so with a set of calipers we measure the drop

PC160015.JPG

tensioner  measurement.jpg

once this drop is 16 mm their fancy plug would bottom out and you would add the spacer I mentioned above.

Note when you remove the center nut DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER
Until the center nut is re installed and torqued.

Hope this helps any questions ask away

@warp9.9 what do you think. Did I measure it correct?

Attachments

• 20180514_181445.jpg
    20180514_181445.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180514_182342.jpg
    20180514_182342.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180514_182049.jpg
    20180514_182049.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 7
Back