Help please - motor knocking sound in new-to-me '09 R3T

I have an exhaust tic now I'm trying to solve, and that is hard to localize. Just waiting for some parts.

Really hard to tell from the video, but I'd check the exhaust joints for leaks before going too far into anything else.
I agree with Steel. Torque down your exhaust nuts and see if it cleans it up. At least feel along the exhaust ports to check for exhaust leak(s).

I will try the exhaust bolts first and see what happens. @warp9.9 I appreciate you putting your feedback out there. If this is not an exhaust leak, I will do more reading on this and try to tackle this maybe in the fall if this is nothing to be worried about now.

From what I get from most of the feedback is to quit B!@hing and just ride it, is that pretty much it? LMAO :roll:

Any damage to be done with riding it this season and looking more into the valves or anything later?

Also, Does anyone have a tune for me on this bike? I am worried that I upset Hans0 when I was messaging him. I was not understanding what he was telling me and I am sure he is busy. The bike has a little bit of a cackle coming to a stop sometimes.

I will try the exhaust bolts first and see what happens. @warp9.9 I appreciate you putting your feedback out there. If this is not an exhaust leak, I will do more reading on this and try to tackle this maybe in the fall if this is nothing to be worried about now.

From what I get from most of the feedback is to quit B!@hing and just ride it, is that pretty much it? LMAO :roll:

Any damage to be done with riding it this season and looking more into the valves or anything later?

Also, Does anyone have a tune for me on this bike? I am worried that I upset Hans0 when I was messaging him. I was not understanding what he was telling me and I am sure he is busy. The bike has a little bit of a cackle coming to a stop sometimes.

The exhaust leak is a good item to check. Regardless I would still check the tensioner drop. Don't make me show you what happens in the Rocket when the valves meet the pistons. Especially when you can make it right with a bolt hacksaw, file and a set of calipers. The last one I did for a fellow captain took less then 10 minutes. Mind you he had it on a lift so my old arse did not have to bend over but you get the idea.

Exhauzt leak is a vood ixe to check . Regarxless i wox still check the tensioner drop. Don't make me show you what happens in the rocket when the valves meet the pistons. Especially when you can make it right with a bolt hacksaw, file and a set of calipers. The last one I did for a fellow captain took less then 10 minutes. Mind you he had it on a lift so my old arse did not have to bend over but you get the idea.
Just a little nervous to do it is all. what does this tensioner do exactly?

Just a little nervous to do it is all. what does this tensioner do exactly?

Keeps the timing chain tight so the cams stay timed with the crank. It avoids catastrophic failure. It's on a ratchet/pawl system; the ratchet holds it out at its position as things wear and get older. It adjusts keeping the specified tension on the timing chain. The spacer is added when it exceeds 16mm to bring the spring tension back to proper load/tension. Nothing fancy just normal maintenance like changing the oil.

Keeps the timing chain tight so the cams stay timed with the crank. It avoids catastrophic failure. Its on a ratchet/pawl system the ratchet hold it out at its position as things ware and get older it adjust keeping the specified tension on the timing chain. The spacer is added when it exceeds 16mm to bring the spring tension back to proper load/tension. Nothing fancy just normal maintenance like changing the oil.

Sounds easy enough, but I have to take the whole Cam Shaft Cover off to do that?

Back