Help please - motor knocking sound in new-to-me '09 R3T

Another thought just occurred to me, maybe lifting the tank and run it a minute or two can help localize the sound. Anyone else have a thought on this. I'm thinking if it is valves that may be more evident then.

Man thats screwed up. You shoulf give it to me I will ride it for say 50,000 miles and further evaluate it :) does it have the oem air filter or something aftermarket ?

It is the stock airbox and a K&N filter in it. It has D&D Slip-ons. There are 42,000 miles on the beast.

Jeremy,

The service manual says the valves should be checked for clearance every 10,000 miles; however, my dealer said every 40,000 should suffice. I'd say the noise is a valve or two that need shims. The valve train is solid, so any slop needs taken up by selective fit washers.

Intake "clucking" is markedly apparent at low levs since I replaced the airbox (silencer) with a RamAir. I'd expect that may be what's got your attention.

Intake "clucking" is markedly apparent at low levs since I replaced the airbox (silencer) with a RamAir. I'd expect that may be what's got your attention.

While I am riding down a road it is really apparent and annoying.

That good, but I think the valves may still be the origin of the tapping sound. Hopefully someone smarter than me can add more definitive knowledge to your situation.

I guess I will have to wait and see what the general consensus is from the experts on the group. Is this something that I need to stop riding and take care of?

Back