Help please - motor knocking sound in new-to-me '09 R3T

You should check the drop on the tensioner plunger it might be time for the spacer to increase the spring tension. If the valves aint be checked I would put that on your list. If your not up to it your not far from Baxter's in Marne Ia.

Really hard to tell from the video, but I'd check the exhaust joints for leaks before going too far into anything else.

You should check the drop on the tensioner plunger it might be time for the spacer to increase the spring tension. If the valves aint be checked I would put that on your list. If your not up to it your not far from Baxter's in Marne Ia.

I appreciate the feedback, but you lost me. Can you explain? I am mechanically inclined, just not sure what you mean.

Really hard to tell from the video, but I'd check the exhaust joints for leaks before going too far into anything else.

I will do that, thank you.

This would not have anything to do with having a poorly tuned map for my setup, would it?

Pdf version let me check the page number for ya

Ok Page 3.9 which is like the 85th page

20180508_180530_001.jpg

Last edited:
I will do that, thank you.

This would not have anything to do with having a poorly tuned map for my setup, would it?
No, nothing to do with the map. I've just had a bike do that to me once. It was a slight exhaust leak, but it sounded like a light tapping.

Basically this tool is a over priced go/no-go gauge. When the toll has bottomed out the tensioner plunger has dropped 16mm or more and you add a spacer which can be made out of the straight shank of a 3/8 or 10 mm bolt .355" long.

If You have a set of calipers you can measure the drop and no need for the tool.

below is a shot of the tensioner with the plunger totally dropped both face surfaces marked in yellow is the drop measurement we are doing.
Plunger drop alpha.jpg

another shot but with the plunger contracted all the way the ink pen is on the surface that moves
plunger drop brovo.jpg

so with a set of calipers we measure the drop

PC160015.JPG

tensioner  measurement.jpg

once this drop is 16 mm their fancy plug would bottom out and you would add the spacer I mentioned above.

Note when you remove the center nut DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER
Until the center nut is re installed and torqued.

Hope this helps any questions ask away

Back