harley touring air shocks on a r3t

In your primary. Located on main power shaft of engine, right in front of stator. Yours is a screaming eagle version with weak pressure plates. basic function is to relieve motor and primary of sudden shock when you hit the gas. I am working on my second one. Baker has a new version which seems to be a better design and last longer and works. More expensive but better made. First sign of the compensator going south is a grinding or whining noise coming from primary. AS it progresses the bike will be hard to start when engine is warm. then the bike just dies.

I have a set of take-off Harley air shocks in the garage waiting to be mounted, along with the air system minus controls from a GL1500SE. Showa makes the shocks for Harley, same folks that make them for the Goldwings. I'm going to try to come up with an auto leveling system too.

The biggest problem at the moment is that the shocks mount with a different size bolt than the Rockets use. I tried drilling the steel insert in the rubber shock bushing on the shocks to the correct size but that was a disaster. I need to turn polyurethane bushings or cast new ones in the shocks. I just haven't yet. Maybe this winter after I get my trunk mounted......

The French made Fornales are a great shock and sometimes regret selling them but I wanted the extra 30 mm height which the didn't do easy to adjust pressure and held pressure well

Don't bother mounting Harley air-shocks. They won't hold the bike up much less with a rider onboard unless you run them way over their rated pressure. I tried them and removed them the same day. No fun if they blow-out and you can't ride home.

The motion ratio of the R3 rear suspension is very different than the Harley so much greater spring rate is needed on the R3 even though the actual rear weights are not that far apart.

My sugestion, dont do it, my 2015 Ultra has them, they dont hold the air, at 3000 miles they have been replaced once, went for a ride today and the new ones are depleted just by sitting in the garage for a week, everybody is going to conventional shocks on the Ultras
YEP exactly HD owners complain about them

been running a set of progressive air shocks on my 05 for 10 years or so , they work great,adjust for any load or riding situation,sport cruise etc. provide a very smooth ride that doesn't wallow thru corners at speed

Like the Mexican said, "don't do it" I bought a set off ebay for my Sportster. They leaked, bought another set, they leaked. Been running them with 0 air pressure, and they work OK on my Sporty, but it's not 800 lbs.

Back