Got some Viking bags

I set mine to be as far forward as possible without rubbing shocks or blocking passenger pegs. Had a buddy hold them until I found an angle somewhere between level and following the angle of the pipes that didn't look too awful.

There are some hard leather style ones I've seen on big Yam-hammers that look like they would look good on a Rocket.

Understand......look at my pictures and you will see what can be done....although yours are not cutouts......... so you might need some spacers to move yours out to just clear the shocks.

PS You might notice my bags do not have Viking badges.....plus they have side marker reflectors back and sides......my badges are TRIUMPH......how did that happen?

Mine sat behind the shocks.

And I liked the silver engine. And I sure miss that bike. If my son ever get's tired of it I'll get it back from him.
MR 047.jpg

I like those badges! Looking on ebay for some pannier or old tank badges flat enough to work on the bags.
Stock OEM Triumph.

2 Options of pinned badges. Same are available as stick on for metal surfaces like sissy bar back plate or foot boards.
Large:
PANNIER EMBELLISHER SIDE A9738003 this is a pinned version

upload_2018-10-3_9-25-18.png

Sissy Bar Badge A9738002 - Self adhesive

upload_2018-10-3_9-30-19.png

Small:

EMBELLISHER - CHROME A9938097 Self adhesive
LEATHER EMBELLISHER - CHROME A9930157 Pin Fastener

upload_2018-10-3_9-29-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-3_9-28-48.png
    upload_2018-10-3_9-28-48.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
So I'm wondering about a set of bags for my Touring. Sacrilege, you say ? You already have bags, you say ?

I'm planning on shipping the bike on the Amtrak Auto Train to avoid the pains of I-95, and my wife in I will take a short 3-day "cruise" out of Ft Lauderdale, then maybe check out the Everglades or something.

Don't really want to subject the nice hard bags to bumps and bruises getting on and off the train.

Thoughts ?

They say "hardware included", and looking at the installation video, there appear to be a fair amount of measuring and marking and drilling and aligning and such, and ideally, for the Touring, these would just match the existing brackets.

Oh, and, they're running 16% off on the Viking site now, with "FALL16" entered in the coupon field at checkout.

Last edited:
I like the idea. The Viking bags, while they're sort of touted as "model specific" are definitely generic. I think they've kind of soft pedaled that recently.

This is my second pair, and while the design of the mounting hardware is pretty much the same as a few years ago, the quality it much better. I had to replace half of it from a hardware store previously as the threads were off and the slots to turn the fasteners were so shallow no tool would grab them. This go around, I only needed to replace 2 bolts as all the supplied ones were 8mm and I needed 10s for the front.

For all the holding and measuring and marking and drilling... it's not a big deal if you have a helper. Their process of mark one bag, drill it then transfer the holes to the other bag works very well - with one minor exception on the bags I got. The way the lid hinges on these bags pushes causes it to lift away from the other bag when trying to transfer the hole marks. I ended up getting it done by pulling the insert out of a mechanical grease pencil. If I had it to do over, I would have made a grease pencil marking holder and just put some scrap wood between the bags to make sure they stayed parallel. As it happened, it was getting dark, I still had to finish the oil change, and my helper had run through my beer, so I really wanted to wrap it up. It came out just fine.

Even going super slow and taking your time, it's less than an hour project to mount these bags. Given that, for you they'll be temporary bags, I wouldn't hesitate.

So I'm wondering about a set of bags for my Touring. Sacrilege, you say ? You already have bags, you say ?

I'm planning on shipping the bike on the Amtrak Auto Train to avoid the pains of I-95, and my wife in I will take a short 3-day "cruise" out of Ft Lauderdale, then maybe check out the Everglades or something.

Don't really want to subject the nice hard bags to bumps and bruises getting on and off the train.

Thoughts ?

They say "hardware included", and looking at the installation video, there appear to be a fair amount of measuring and marking and drilling and aligning and such, and ideally, for the Touring, these would just match the existing brackets.

Oh, and, they're running 16% off on the Viking site now, with "FALL16" entered in the coupon field at checkout.
I would see if there is a way to use the stock quick release mounting hardware .

Viking has the "quick "disconnects listed on there site .I think they were on sale when I got mine. $145 or so I think. $260 was the total on the bags /disconnects. Also got the carrying strap for them too.

Back