soberdude

Standard Bore
Can anyone give recommendations for the best aftermarket pipes that hopefully don't cost a fortune. Some seem to be pretty steep and I was doing good to be able to afford such a sweet machine in the first place. The stock pipes on my 2006 Classic are rather tame sounding and I wouldn't mind a meatier rumble. Doesn't need to wake the neighborhood and I'm not so concerned about the added hp since this bike equals approx 3 of my prior bike which was a Kawasaki 750. I also tend to like the 3 into 2 set up. Is this better than keeping the 3 pipes?

Thanks Soberdude

If you like the 3 into 2 set up, D&D pipes are probably the way for you to go. They are just about the most affordable and I think you won't need to buy a cat delete / "silencer upgrade kit" to eliminate the catalytic converter. They sound good, my dealer's demo bike had a set on it and Hondax has a set on his bike.

Link Removed

Jardines are also a 3 into 2 however it is not a slip on it is an entire system. I have found them on Ebay for about $900. I have not heard them in person however many say they are the loudest of all of the aftermarket systems and slip ons.

Link Removed

There some others here in the FAQ

Link Removed

I don't think it makes a bit of difference whether you have 3 into 2 verses 3 into 3.

I have the TOR and CAT removed and sound / performance is great. Now it goes smother, faster and louder ( everybody turns to look at what is coming from far away ... ). I love that experience.

There is a problem, back firing, but it is also great to ear and see !

I went for Triumph originals since you need a new software for the ECU and this can be done easy by any Triumph dealer and you keep the warranty.

Next month I will go for TuneBoy solution to make it even better ( I hope so ), but they still havent a software for my setup.

Regarding price, I don´t know, but should be less than 900 US $ fitted on the bike.

Good luck.

MadRock

tor exhausts

Are these what your calling Triumph Originals? What does it stand for? I obviously am new to Triumph's and am unfamiliar with the lingo. You said this will keep the warrantly intact? Does that mean that other aftermarket pipes will negate it?
Soberdude

Hi Soberdude!

TOR hypocritically stands for "Triumph Off Road" (sic), i.e. ex-factory, dealer-supplied, warranty-compatible optional pipes. They look just like the standard ones but produce a definitely more authoritative sound, without being obtrusive. NOT street legal in most countries, i.e. those with enforced noise regulations (hence the "Off Road" disclaimer up-front). Require a dealer-performed engine tune change. But then all after market pipes do.

I never used the standard pipes. Had the TOR's installed from the start and then switched to the australian Mad Dogs (while keeping the cat box). Deeper and at the same time mellower sound, although, yes, decibels went up, and beefier appearance. Am quite pleased with them

Hope this helps.

Jamie -Oct. '04 green Rocket III-

soberdude said:
Are these what your calling Triumph Originals? What does it stand for? I obviously am new to Triumph's and am unfamiliar with the lingo. You said this will keep the warrantly intact? Does that mean that other aftermarket pipes will negate it?
Soberdude

TOR = Triumph Offroad Pipes

They aren't permitted on the streets and are meant for track use only but who cares. I don't know any place in the US that checks that to date. I too have the TOR's + Cat bypass and like them as well.

Am I the only redneck on this site who has drilled his stock silencers?:D There is a lot of info about doing this on the other R3 site. I drilled 4- 5/8" holes in the baffle of each muffler. You also have to reach farther in and drill through a second baffle a few inches deeper. I then took a long 1/4" drill bit and drilled into the fiberglass packing as much as I could. Then cranked it up, hit the throttle, and watched the fiberglass packing fly! [Watch your eyes!] The result is a deep rumble that is very nice to my ears without being too loud. Also, did not cost me a dime.;)

Drilling Achievements

The far reach of Wilbur's drilling skills being now drilled into Soberdude's head.

Had thought his, Soberdude's, question was just a drill on TOR's:cool:

D&D are the cheapest aftermarkets @ 499.00 USD. Remember as Pign9 stated they are 3 into 2, meaning no third pipe on the left side, just two pipes on the right like (here I go) Harley D's. If you can live with that get um. They do sound great,...real chick magnets,.....Ive heard......:eek: :D

Pipe Dreams

Has anyone gone the Swede route? Got a Raask 3-1 Slip-on coming that hooks up to the original manifold. Chrome reverse cone kindothang. Omar's Cafe will deliver one to da howse for $395. It leaves the left side naked so a lot of folks won't like the imballance. Had a similar 3-1 on a BSA triple and it arced like a big dawg. Hope at 3300 ft above sea level it won't be too far off with a stock air filter (no seat baffles)?:cool: Any thoughts?

Back