Whitewalls on the new 3?

dobervol

.040 Over
Ride
Looking at 2.5 R3 R; own 2019 K1600GT, etc.
Lots of folks did whitewalls on the III, but anyone gonna try on the 3? Can’t find any pics if anyone has. I’m just curious what it would look like; I think a couple of retro touches on the new bike could make for a nice contrast between new and old, and give someone a very unique look. I know the new bike has huge tires, but a down-under member posted these on a thread about the prior bike, even though the pics aren’t of a Rocket:

There are also white wall inserts in various rim/tire sizes.
Au$69 = US$50 a tire (2 sides)

If they available here is Oz they are sure to be available Stateside.
16" 16" Motorcycle Cruiser Chopper White Wall Tyre Trim Inserts

17" 17" Motorcycle Cruiser Chopper White Wall Tyre Trim Inserts

18", 19" and 21" available.

Motorcycle Tyre Changer | Tyre Changing Tools | Motorcycle Tyre Fitters - Third Gear

MOTOR16.jpg

MOTOR16.jpg
MOTOR16.jpg

Why would anyone want white walls on a naked sport bike? ;-)

Well, for one, I’m weird enough to want an Indian Chief Vintage or Moto Guzzi Eldorado that will do a 10.5 quarter.:laugh:

And I know you were tongue-in-cheek, but I can see how those who came off American V-twins onto this bike feel like it’s a naked sport bike by comparison. At the same time, though, everything being relative, I’d like to put those folks on something like this for about 30 minutes or so, and ask their reactions:

Come to think of it, you’d HAVE to back it up with skill, and so you’d need to pay for a lot of track lessons before you did it, but being “that guy” who paints whitewalls on his Panagale V4 tires would be waaaay cool. “He’s gotta be nutty as he11, but dang, he can ride.”

...the new 3 is more cutting edge, modern looking so a retro touch like white walls would seem to contrast the character that Triumph is promoting.

You’re exactly right. That’s a BIG part of why I’d like to see it. It might look horrible, and I’m not necessarily advocating for it without seeing it, but I do like the different and unexpected. For example, on the R model, I‘d like to see a huge cafe’ racer fairing that fits the size of the bike, instead of the Harley-copy, more of the same, yawn yawn batwing Corbin is gonna offer.

But here’s the thing, too: Triumph is known as a retro brand, and while much more modern looking than the previous generation, it still doesn't look remotely as modern as the Diavel, which is one of the reasons I like the R3. LED or not, for example, the 2 headlights are retro-looking.

This bike is such a perfect aesthetic on its own, though (I’m one who DOES like the sportbike, chopped-butt look), how can you truly make it your own, one-of-a-kind beastie? Ergonomic or comfort mods don’t really do that.

You’re exactly right. That’s a BIG part of why I’d like to see it. It might look horrible, and I’m not necessarily advocating for it without seeing it, but I do like the different and unexpected. For example, on the R model, I‘d like to see a huge cafe’ racer fairing that fits the size of the bike, instead of the Harley-copy, more of the same, yawn yawn batwing Corbin is gonna offer.

But here’s the thing, too: Triumph is known as a retro brand, and while much more modern looking than the previous generation, it still doesn't look remotely as modern as the Diavel, which is one of the reasons I like the R3. LED or not, for example, the 2 headlights are retro-looking.

This bike is such a perfect aesthetic on its own, though (I’m one who DOES like the sportbike, chopped-butt look), how can you truly make it your own, one-of-a-kind beastie? Ergonomic or comfort mods don’t really do that.
IMO Triumph is a brand with some retro bikes in the portfolio, but i can't for the life of me see any resemblence between a classic bike and the Street Triple, Speed triple, the Tigers and the Rocket 3 :)
All that aside i'd think the R3 has too low profile tyres to make whitewalls look tasteful.

IMO Triumph is a brand with some retro bikes in the portfolio, but i can't for the life of me see any resemblence between a classic bike and the Street Triple, Speed triple, the Tigers and the Rocket 3 :)
All that aside i'd think the R3 has too low profile tyres to make whitewalls look tasteful.

They do make all those other bikes, but a quick glance at their site, excluding TFC versions, puts 10 bikes in the Modern Classic category, and only 8 not. And I know we could fuss about what’s a different model or not, but I’d bet over half their profits come off those retro bikes. In any event, though, especially when it comes to motorcycles, I’d tell anyone and everyone to do what floats their boat and forget about tasteful.

That said, though, maybe you’re right, and even I’d hate it. And maybe we’d get more input if I posted another thread about how to make your already distinct Rocket 3 very distinct from all the other Rocket 3s. The few guys who got TFCs don’t ever need to worry about that, of course, and I know COVID’s slowed the aftermarket considerably, but I do get the feeling that the new bike isn’t going to have quite as many options as the old one did.

I love the looks of the black R Model as it is. But I’m wondering how to make your black one immediately stand out from all the rest, especially if you want to be consistent with the new, truly unique aesthetic.

I got the 2016 Eldorado with the whitewalls but it will not do a sub 11 seconds. I have the GT R3 fitted some saddlebags have a rear seat bag a slip streamer Spitfire windshield but will pass on the whitewalls for the R3 although I like the retro look

Lots of folks did whitewalls on the III, but anyone gonna try on the 3? Can’t find any pics if anyone has. I’m just curious what it would look like; I think a couple of retro touches on the new bike could make for a nice contrast between new and old, and give someone a very unique look. I know the new bike has huge tires, but a down-under member posted these on a thread about the prior bike, even though the pics aren’t of a Rocket:
I have put Whitewalls on every bike I have owned so far and I would be lying if I said that I have not thought about whitewalls on my R3 GT but I think it would require a complete repaint and some unique aftefmarket parts to make it work.

Back