Tire mold seam on new Rocket?

Protonhound

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Rocket 3R
I don't think I have ever seen this on a tire before, my bike has 960 miles on it now and half the front tire is showing this seam. Is that a "normal" Avon thing or what's the deal?
20240323_111823.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it's trying to separate. Not a tire expert but I wouldn't ride it. Call your dealer and send pics. I have never seen anything like that but maybe I'm wrong but even if I am, I still wouldn't ride on it.
I sent the pic to my dealer who said he would get in touch with the Avon rep so I guess I'll know more next week.

This is a picture of my brand new tyre The second photo is of a tyre that had done about two thousand kilometres it was replaced by Avon in good faith they didn’t admit their was a fault
IMG_1419.jpeg
IMG_1419.jpeg
IMG_1489.jpeg
IMG_1489.jpeg
I wonder how many riders this is affecting who may not even notice it. That second pic looks much like mine only less even, so this seems to be an ongoing thing. How long ago was this?

The one thing I’m curious about is now the factory that makes these tires is shut down .. what recourse we have. Stock is pretty bad as is. Do they even have tires to give under warranty.

I wonder how many riders this is affecting who may not even notice it. That second pic looks much like mine only less even, so this seems to be an ongoing thing. How long ago was this?
Replaced tyre with slice in about three months ago. The replacement tyre was the same with mould marks that has now done about two thousand kms and mould marks have gone. The new tyre is a spare one sitting in shed until needed working in the tyre industry does have its advantages when it comes to sourcing tyres 😊

Replaced tyre with slice in about three months ago. The replacement tyre was the same with mould marks that has now done about two thousand kms and mould marks have gone. The new tyre is a spare one sitting in shed until needed working in the tyre industry does have its advantages when it comes to sourcing tyres 😊
Ok then I'll just keep an eye on it and hopefully the mold marks will disappear like they did on yours and since the tire hasn't killed you yet it probably won't do me in either. May we both have the best of luck with this! 🙃

The new Rocket "Storm" displays Metzeler Cruisetecs on it. I think that is the new official tire and would guess that's what they would and should use to replace your Avons. Never liked them, btw. I've been running Exedra Max, but have a Cruistec in the garage waiting to be installed after I shave the last few miles off the current Max.

Back