Tuning Intercooled Supercharged R3

hombre

Nitrous
Our initial dyno runs produced 259 SAE RWHP for my intercooled supercharged R3, but the bike would continually lean out over 6400 RPMs. Richard of TTS recommended replacing the fuel pump with a higher volume pump... specifically the Walbro 342 (255 LPH).

After pump replacement we were able to carry 200 Ft Lbs of torque through 7000 RPMs, with no lean out, yielding 267 SAE RWHP. :)

Still expect some slight gains with custom equal length headers from ARC Fabrication, and still have another LONGER duration exhaust cam from Neville Lush Racing in the box of tricks. However, I can honestly say this bike is now fast enough for me. CF wheels and Pirelli tires go on today. :D

Our initial dyno runs produced 259 SAE RWHP for my intercooled supercharged R3, but the bike would continually lean out over 6400 RPMs. Richard of TTS recommended replacing the fuel pump with a higher volume pump... specifically the Walbro 342 (255 LPH).

After pump replacement we were able to carry 200 Ft Lbs of torque through 7000 RPMs, with no lean out, yielding 267 SAE RWHP. :)

Still expect some slight gains with custom equal length headers from ARC Fabrication, and still have another LONGER duration exhaust cam from Neville Lush Racing in the box of tricks. However, I can honestly say this bike is now fast enough for me. CF wheels and Pirelli tires go on today. :D

I only have two questions and that is how much money did you have to invest in the bike to obtain the results you have?

and... You have obviously taken the bike to an extreme level of modification for your personal gratification but is it actually a dependable mount for everyday use or has it just become a radical departure from the everyday norm to satisfy your personal taste?

Flip, I really don't keep track of what I've got in her... she's just a fun and interesting toy, certainly not an investment. I'm sure it's well over 30k USD... ****ed glad I have income in Euros. ;)

With the exception of being difficult to crank on cold (zero c) mornings, she's actually MORE reliable now than when stock. I still remember the stock R3 stalling out on hot days when rolling through intersections. This happened occasionally even with the 3 filter mod (but never with Ram Air). I ride her almost daily, in preference to my BMW K1200S (no slouch either). The intercooled supercharged R3 makes the K1200S feel like a toy... and is actually noticeably quicker (top speeds yet to be determined). IMO, she'll crank easy on frosty days with a battery upgrade (next mod).

Hombre:

If I remember correctly from reading your posts on the .com site or maybe it was here, I'm not sure, you have a different clutch arrangement is that not correct? How does that clutch work and how does it interplay with the power gains. Somehow, I can't see the stock clutch assuming that much horsepower or torque rise without becoming, should I say, a Powerglide....

Even though I have no desire to modify my bike for power gains, down the road I can foresee a clutch upgrade. Even in stock form, other than the timing gear mess, I consider the clutch to be the weakest link in the power delivery scheme and upgrading to a more robust unit is something to consider.

I must say, unequivocally, it is an outrageous toy and if I'm ever in the Virginia area and see you, I must get a good look at the modifications, which, I'm sure are quite well executed.

What's it like launching in 2nd with all that HP?

Did you end up finding a way to balance the TBs?

Launch RPM is critical, and I have to feed in the power in 2nd... not just go WOT. Reminds me of flying a F8F BearCat... can't use full power on take-off.

I did balance the TBs as we discussed. Thanks again for your help!

Hombre:

If I remember correctly from reading your posts on the .com site or maybe it was here, I'm not sure, you have a different clutch arrangement is that not correct? How does that clutch work and how does it interplay with the power gains. Somehow, I can't see the stock clutch assuming that much horsepower or torque rise without becoming, should I say, a Powerglide....

Even though I have no desire to modify my bike for power gains, down the road I can foresee a clutch upgrade. Even in stock form, other than the timing gear mess, I consider the clutch to be the weakest link in the power delivery scheme and upgrading to a more robust unit is something to consider.

I must say, unequivocally, it is an outrageous toy and if I'm ever in the Virginia area and see you, I must get a good look at the modifications, which, I'm sure are quite well executed.

Flip, I use the Lock-up Clutch from Neville Lush Racing. It handles the power with NO PROBLEM! However, I did have some sorting out to do on the stock clutch lifter and lifter shaft. Finally ended up with a heavier & thicker ball bearing in the pressure plate. The Lock-up Clutch is best up-shifted via RPM (without clutching)... pull is much heavier on my arthritic left hand. If you're in VA look me up. :cool:

Impressive results . Im jealous :)

Sully, all my parts can be duplicated at TTS and Neville Lush Racing. But be advised, Nev is sick of the bull****e going down regarding his mods, and has told me when the current cam blanks are gone... THERE WILL BE NO MORE. :eek:

Very impressive numbers, Hombre. Must be a real kick in the arse to ride. I'm paying way too much in child support to be able to spend much on mine, but maybe someday......

Back