Tuning Intercooled Supercharged R3

The only thing I don't like about the boost is good turbo setup is that it is a single exhaust pipe. Which I can't seem to get on thier site...

I agree Pig9r - I don't like the single stock pipe either... Might talk to them to see of they could do a little welding and adapt my Jardines... Would make for an interesting setup...

Mike...

There were significant gains to had in adusting the timing to the "stock" Supercharger tune (same with Ram Air tune), and I bet the kit supplied Turbo tunes are equally conservative.

But be aware, your tuner must be VERY experienced and have step test capability on his dyno, so he can see the loss of power before detonation occurs. :eek:

There's a detectable loss of power before detonation occurs... if timing is past the "sweet spot".

The only thing I don't like about the boost is good turbo setup is that it is a single exhaust pipe. Which I can't seem to get on thier site...

I agree Pig9r - I don't like the single stock pipe either... Might talk to them to see of they could do a little welding and adapt my Jardines... Would make for an interesting setup...

Mike...

We've talked about this before. Once the exhaust gases expend their energy in the turbine wheel of the turbocharger it don't matter what the device is post turbo that expels them. The only limiting factor is that it must not interfere with the unrestricted flow of spent exhaust gas. In as much as the paddle wheel blades of the turbine break up the sound waves of the combustion gas as it's circulates over the blades of the turbine, no muffler is really needed anyway. So, if you wanted a 'Y' pipe off the stinger of the turbo, just split the pipe and add another muffler on the other side. It won't change the performance a bit and it would make the bike more symmetrical when viewed from the back or left side. All the performance gains with a turbocharger lie in the inherent boost of the charge air not the elimination of spent exhaust gasses other than allowing the exhaust gasses the least restricted path of exit.

Intercooling provides significant benefits to both Superchargers and Turbo setups. The most significant advantage to intercooling is the increased detonation threshold because of the cooler air charge. This means you can run more ignition advance for higher performance, run more boost, or run lower octane fuel before experiencing detonation. This is especially desirable on street bikes that run pump fuel. :cool:

Back