Triumph needs exhaust options for Rocket 3R & GT

Well how do all the other companies make pipes then?
Triumph can still make them "for off-road use only."
They just cant sell those types of pipes and sell them on new bikes.
I’m not seeing any “performance” mufflers sold by Triumph except for the new T100. These are “homologated” for the EPA and CARB which means they meet those standards. Don’t know about Euro 5 but they wouldn’t be able to sell bikes in Europe unless they were in compliance. Triumph did sell Fox mufflers for the T120 but stopped for the Euro 5 models. BMW sells bikes with aftermarket (Akrapovic) mufflers which have to be homologated for Euro 5. There are aftermarket mufflers available for a lot of Triumph models but Triumph can’t sell them for most models because either they wouldn’t be in compliance for sound and emissions or if they would, Triumph doesn’t want to go through the process of certifying them. The Rocket had a pretty unusual exhaust. I would guess they could make a freer flowing, louder muffler with the same appearance but again, it might not be able to comply with Euro 5 and even if it could, Triumph may not want to go through the design and certification processes. I agree with the statement that Triumph’s first priorities for the R3 should be to make decent, effective shields and luggage 🧳. After 3 years, it seems they are content marketing it as a giant naked street fighter.

I’m not seeing any “performance” mufflers sold by Triumph except for the new T100. These are “homologated” for the EPA and CARB which means they meet those standards. Don’t know about Euro 5 but they wouldn’t be able to sell bikes in Europe unless they were in compliance. Triumph did sell Fox mufflers for the T120 but stopped for the Euro 5 models. BMW sells bikes with aftermarket (Akrapovic) mufflers which have to be homologated for Euro 5. There are aftermarket mufflers available for a lot of Triumph models but Triumph can’t sell them for most models because either they wouldn’t be in compliance for sound and emissions or if they would, Triumph doesn’t want to go through the process of certifying them. The Rocket had a pretty unusual exhaust. I would guess they could make a freer flowing, louder muffler with the same appearance but again, it might not be able to comply with Euro 5 and even if it could, Triumph may not want to go through the design and certification processes. I agree with the statement that Triumph’s first priorities for the R3 should be to make decent, effective shields and luggage 🧳. After 3 years, it seems they are content marketing it as a giant naked street fighter.
Well, agreed.
Again, whether its bags or anything else Triumph has not supported the bike the way they promised when they unveiled it.
Maybe they thought it would be a bigger seller? IDK.
The stock pipes look cool but **** they're quiet.

I prefer the looks of the stock exhaust compared to the aftermarket options. I tried the Werkes exhaust, but it was too loud for long rides and didn't look as cool.
This is my new plan.....

A hole saw and visit to a muffler shop who can weld patches over the resulting three holes. Maybe the best option for those of us who like the looks of stock, but want just a bit more growl.

I agree with the fellows who've said the stock look is the best so far for the new models. I also prefer the look of the stock pipes on the earlier models. The first thing I purchased when I got my Roadster were the TOR pipes. I love the fact that they hide that big hole behind the starter and ahead of the rear wheel. They also sound mean without being obnoxious. even on long rides.

Regarding the headers on the older models... that's a different story.

I also wish Triumph had TOR's for the R3, that match with the look of the stock exhaust. I think the stock pipes look great, aftermarket not so much.

Last edited:
The original looks good just needs some noise,I’ve gone with werkes got a set for a bargain price with penner tune works a treat

A custom exhaust shop can do it for you. I'm going to see how much they'd charge to drill the three holes and weld vs. just weld. I can't weld.
Did you get any further with modding your exhaust? I have been trying to figure out exactly how to drill and what to remove when you've got in there. There is also only pictures showing 2 of the three holes. Where's the 3rd one drilled?
Like many others, I just LOVE the design of the OEM exhaust but the sound just doesn't come close to what the bike needs. The ONLY system that ticks most of the boxes is the Vandemon which is very pricey.

Last edited:
Back