My buddy who's an MC mechanic changed the spring on my Touring using the shortcut I printed out, he said it only took him a couple hours.
Ya triumph gives 4 hours but 2 hours has been my best so far . I did not remove the wheel and fender, lift the tank heck I did not even drain the oil just tilted her up so the oil ran to the rear. Of course to be fair I've been in the rocket engine enough that it knows what to do. OR I'LL SLAP THE KURWA :D

Ya triumph gives 4 hours but 2 hours has been my best so far . I did not remove the wheel and fender, lift the tank heck I did not even drain the oil just tilted her up so the oil ran to the rear. Of course to be fair I've been in the rocket engine enough that it knows what to do. OR I'LL SLAP THE KURWA :D

A hooker would merely laugh at a slap from your skinny little butt!!! :eek: :p :rolleyes: :roll:

Ya it sure shows the symptoms of a broken dentent spring which is great as you do not have to remove the motor :) Now I have never worked on the touring model so some things might be different in the book but then I depart from the book for the standard models. You'll want to read up on the clutch section in the manual as you will be doing that to get at the detent spring. Short cuts I have found is things like there is no need to removed the front wheel and mud guard on the other models either cover the fender with a bath towel so you do not nick it with the radiator during removal or if the touring is like the other models you can actually pull the front mud guard off while the tire is on. Again the idea here is not to damage the fender when pulling the radiator. everything else like fan electrical should be in the same general area and sometimes you can reach the plug connector by just pulling the right side plastic neck cover. I say this as I think there is more involved with lifting the touring tank verses the standard models do to the harley gauge look :)

Have a look at the manual and ask away!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and here is a shot with the clutch basket out showing the location of the detent spring

detent spring location.jpg

larger view

detent spring large view.jpg
I have 16 roadster. It drops out of 2nd gear. It has been recommended i fool with detent spring. After seeing your pics and not being mechanical, i think not. Holy crap...thanks for pics/ info.

I have 16 roadster. It drops out of 2nd gear. It has been recommended i fool with detent spring. After seeing your pics and not being mechanical, i think not. Holy crap...thanks for pics/ info.

Good luck and try a triumph dealer, they may help you a bit being you bike is not yet two model years old.

Don’t let them sell you a transmission job without doing the detent spring first.

Don’t give up on your rocket, it’s a great bike and once you get this problem sorted you should be good to go!

Good luck

Back