Bollocks - Transmission failure.

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
Well seems like it's my turn.

I think it's just the ruddy detent spring. I request diagnostics assistance/conformation from the iluminati.

10 miles from home - shifted up into 4th - and saw "0" on the Healtech gear indicator. Gentle throttle - no acceleration. Allowed it to slow and a gentle push on the lever and into 3rd it went, but since then pretty much any gear change except 4th to 5th results in a false neutral. A second gentle prod and it snicks in. No heavy clunks and it does not drop out once in.

Assuming this is the consensus - Any other stuff worth doing whilst I have the beastie chocked up and open it's chest?
I'd rather have all the bits and just do it than piss about.

Under 50,000kms just.

'sabastid as this a brilliant season still to ride.

Last edited:
Well seems like it's my turn.

I think it's just the ruddy detent spring. I request diagnostics assistance/conformation from the iluminati.

10 miles from home - shifted up into 4th - and saw "0" on the Healtech gear indicator. Gentle throttle - no acceleration. Allowed it to slow and a gentle push on the lever and into 3rd it went, but since then pretty much any gear change except 4th to 5th results in a false neutral. A second gentle prod and it snicks in. No heavy clunks and it does not drop out once in.

Assuming this is the consensus - Any other stuff worth doing whilst I have the beastie chocked up and open it's chest?
I'd rather have all the bits and just do it than piss about.

Under 50,000kms just.

'sabastid as this a brilliant season still to ride.

Exactly the same symptoms as my 08 standard when the detent spring let go at just under 25,000kms. You might want to upgrade the clutch while you are in there. A quick search of common issues will reveal lots of great expert info and advice. Don't ya just love this place ?!

These transmition problems really worry me. Makes me realise how bomb proof my GSX1400 is.
48,000 miles and no transmission issues. Only issue with the bike so far was the clutch. After doing a few upgrades stock springs on clutch became a problem. Well maybe riding style had something to do with the clutch :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Either way a barnett package fixed it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Checked the lever tension and that's not the issue. So pretty sure it's the detent spring.
Now have to find a place to order the **** parts.
Will rearrange the garage and get the beastie ready for surgery on the morrow.

These transmition problems really worry me. Makes me realise how bomb proof my GSX1400 is.
It's just a ****ty cheap part - they all seem to go in the same place - So I am ordering 2 and one will they go to a proper spring maker and have them look at it. I'd happily pay 20€ for one that won't ever break again - I think we all would.

Tell you this though - I will not be looking too hard at another Triumph.

Checked the lever tension and that's not the issue. So pretty sure it's the detent spring.
Now have to find a place to order the **** parts.
Will rearrange the garage and get the beastie ready for surgery on the morrow.

It's just a ****ty cheap part - they all seem to go in the same place - So I am ordering 2 and one will they go to a proper spring maker and have them look at it. I'd happily pay 20€ for one that won't ever break again - I think we all would.

Tell you this though - I will not be looking too hard at another Triumph.
Wow. That's rough.

sounds like detent very similar to how mine went no clunk into gear and gear lever went sloppy but mine did jump out of gear. It was ok if you held slight pressure on lever.There is only one way to know for sure i am afraid.Also you could
Whilst it's open - Whey not upgrade the Clutch Lifter!. And fit SAMCO hoses.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

She must have overheard you talking about buying another one ! At least you can finally get around to fitting those Samcos. Every cloud has a silver lining ! Good luck with the surgery Chris and don't forget to order a new front cover gasket . :thumbsup:

Back