So would wider and deeper grooves be the best solution?

This is the second time this particular clip has come loose...and i can guarantee it was orientated correctly the second time because I installed it myself.
Well, I dont have the actual dims on the shaft, but I would at a minimum have new clips ground flat, no more than .002 to .004 under the groove width. I would inspect the groove diameters and widths. I wouldnt trust a caliper for these measurements. Clearly, there is something amiss. IIRC, @Claviger had Robinson widen the grooves (with wider circlips). Any reputable machine shop can do this for you. Matter of fact, id love to do it to document just what in the world is going on here. Too many R3 trannys with similar failure modes.

Finally found a local bike shop that will do the work...AUD 350 for undercutting the entire box and tidying up the dodgy 3rd gear groove. Just waiting on the new cogs to be shipped from the mother country.
That’s sooo cheap

Yeah i thought it was a good price...one of those one-man-band set ups in a dodgy industrial unit in a dodgy industrial suburb.

Bloke had bike parts from arsehole to breakfast and the whole place looked like a hoarders convention...i have complete confidence in him to do the job but perhaps not when it comes time to remember where he's left my trans:roll:

Back