Ive said this before, and I (and the engineering community) believe the failure mode we are seeing is too much clearance between the clip and the groove, causing deformation of the clip. I machine these types of shafts all the time, and only a few thousanths clearance is all thats allowed. I think if you inspect the shaft groove(s) and clip, you will likely see much more. Below an excerpt from an engineering article.....“We suggest the groove be wider by a few thousandths of an inch than the thickness of the ring, so we can ensure the installation will be done properly,” Moskalik explained. “However, if the groove is too wide, too much axial load to the outer edge of the ring will cause it to dish over if it isn’t feeding against something.”

The factory grooves in an R3 trans are quite shallow. The circlips are kinda dainty as well.

So would wider and deeper grooves be the best solution?

This is the second time this particular clip has come loose...and i can guarantee it was orientated correctly the second time because I installed it myself.

So would wider and deeper grooves be the best solution?

This is the second time this particular clip has come loose...and i can guarantee it was orientated correctly the second time because I installed it myself.

That's what I'm banking on. :unsure:

Also, back cutting the gears takes most of the side load off the circlips.

See i thought that back cutting 3rd out and the dogs that engage it would actually put more pressure on the clip. I know its only a matter a degree or 2 of backcut but that would mean the gear would effectively be 'pulling' the dog ring in while the dog gear is held by the shift fork and would be pulling 3rd out - against the circlip?

20181101_115423.jpg

:(

Back