20181031_182407.jpg

Good call Fred...retaining clip for 3rd out has gone rogue.

What do we reckon the chances of this happening without being related to or

caused by the clutch issue which happened at almost exactly the same time?

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc...the words a lecturer once taught me. The lesson was don't be fooled just because something happens at the same time as something else!

That's the same thing that happened to mine and some others. On the mine the clip was installed with the rounded side facing away from the load. Completely bass ackwards of how it should have been. It even shows the correct way to install them in the manual. I sent mine to Robinson's. They back cut my gears, deepened and widened the circlip grooves and installed super heavy duty circlips. I bought one of their billet 4th gears as well even though I'm running a stock motor. When you look at the stock 4th gear it looks a little delicate.

Chicken/egg?

Almost...the complication comes from knowing (in hindsight) the clutch bolt was sheared when i reinstalled it (over torqued my me) and i felt it pop momentarily before that all to familiar gearbox crunching sound

That's the same thing that happened to mine and some others. On the mine the clip was installed with the rounded side facing away from the load. Completely bass ackwards of how it should have been. It even shows the correct way to install them in the manual. I sent mine to Robinson's. They back cut my gears, deepened and widened the circlip grooves and installed super heavy duty circlips. I bought one of their billet 4th gears as well even though I'm running a stock motor. When you look at the stock 4th gear it looks a little delicate.

Do you have any specs on the extra depth of the grooves and respective clip sizes?

I either ride around at 60kph or 120kph...considering leaving 3rd and 4th out of the tranny altogether :roll:

Do you have any specs on the extra depth of the grooves and respective clip sizes?

I either ride around at 60kph or 120kph...considering leaving 3rd and 4th out of the tranny altogether :roll:

I can't remember if I measured them when they came back or not. Will have to look in archives. I'm at work now. Info is at home.

20181031_182407.jpg

Good call Fred...retaining clip for 3rd out has gone rogue.

What do we reckon the chances of this happening without being related to or caused by the clutch issue which happened at almost exactly the same time?

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc...the words a lecturer once taught me. The lesson was don't be fooled just because something happens at the same time as something else!
Ive said this before, and I (and the engineering community) believe the failure mode we are seeing is too much clearance between the clip and the groove, causing deformation of the clip. I machine these types of shafts all the time, and only a few thousanths clearance is all thats allowed. I think if you inspect the shaft groove(s) and clip, you will likely see much more. Below an excerpt from an engineering article.....“We suggest the groove be wider by a few thousandths of an inch than the thickness of the ring, so we can ensure the installation will be done properly,” Moskalik explained. “However, if the groove is too wide, too much axial load to the outer edge of the ring will cause it to dish over if it isn’t feeding against something.”

Back