C-Clip failure...trashed transmission.

lunatic

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
Finally getting around to fixing my bike that exploded the transmission last fall. I was at WOT when it grenaded itself in third gear just when I shifted into 4th @ 6500rpms. Made a loud explosion then loud grinding noises when I was trying to slow down, the rear tire locked up when I got back down about 20mph.

Have a rebuilt transmission from Robinson Industries that's going in. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
  1. 20220707_161650.jpg
    20220709_220243.jpg
    20220708_095619.jpg

Had the same issue, Robinson machines a deeper or wider groove for the circlip, you should have no issues. Plus there's a right and wrong way to install the circlip, which Triumph apparently didn't realize, and installed them randomly
The stamping process of manufacturing the circlip produces a rounded edge on one side, that should not be the side pressure works against.

Same thing happened to me on my 2005. But when the rear locked up, the bike went right and crashed into a fence. I however was thrown into the air and busted up most of the left side of my body. Seven weeks later I bought an 09.
The 05 now has a 2016 engine in it. It's bobbed and th 09 is bagged.

Same thing happened to me on my 2005. But when the rear locked up, the bike went right and crashed into a fence. I however was thrown into the air and busted up most of the left side of my body. Seven weeks later I bought an 09.
The 05 now has a 2016 engine in it. It's bobbed and th 09 is bagged.
I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't sued triumph from getting injured because of their defective transmissions.

Why ? Was the 07 less susceptible ?

The early rockets had the problem of popping out of 2nd back into neutral but the latter rocket jams the gears
(Jmo) caused a few wrecks because the rear wheel locked up.

This particular failure mode has nothing to do with the year, it spans 2005 up to at least 2014 for confirmed cases.

The failure mode is wear to that exact circlip during downshifts. It dislodges up onto the shaft and then at some point the gear walks and boom during a 3 to 4 upshift.

The cause is very simple, it's one of these three or a combination of them:
A) Circlip installed backwards
B) People kicking the lever downshifting or stomping on the heel plate if using a heel shifter.
C) Bottom of Groove OD at upper limit or slightly over tolerance and shaft OD being at lower limit or slightly under limit.

This IS actually a reasonable class action or at least a NTSB forced recall issue. It can definitely lead to accident/injury. I was leaned over near the edge of the tire, full throttle going 3 to 4 at 7500 RPM or so when I did it while passing traffic.

Triumph is WELL aware of the issue.

Back