Mongler07

Supercharged
Ride
07 R3 classic
So this started with a rattle at just cold idle, once warm its gone, then it developed into a rattle that is all the time until warm then you can hear it at idle some times, NOW its also a slight lack of power, the exhaust gets hotter than usual under load next to my leg and NOW today i can smell exhaust fumes that did not go though the CAT.
I am assuming this is the CAT and the only solution is replacement or removal. My plan is to bust up the comb and remove it and reinstall.
Question is, is this common and is this the comb failure or a baffle or something that has come out of the CAT.. is there anything other than comb inside the cat?

the rattle is DEFIANTLY coming from the exhaust behind, like a busted bell being tapped sporadically

eventually i want to do a custom exhaust but until then i want to not spend $ on this issue and just want it to ride.

i would check it with out engine running.
a swift kick to see if it rattles.
hth
on mine it has a cat by pass witch is what you want.
i would suggest you run in classified add wanted exhaust bypass for 07 classic, standard

Just pulled the cat. 100% thats the rattle. When you hit it nothing. But shake it... yep sounds like the comb has melted a bit or something and its rattling around inside.
I can weld stainless. But I think a bypass is the ticket here.

If I was to destroy the cat portion, what would be the best attack, where could I drill a hole to weld back up and remove the catalytic comb via violent internal attack?
Does anyone have a picture of a cross section or somone cutting open theirs?

Someone split one open but it took a lot of welding to get it back together
That was a lot of years ago.

So I took her out on open header down the street to the gas station for coffee, HOLY FROG HUFFING BATMAN this thing was so under powered over time. When I got her she was very peppy but lately over the year she had become lethargic but still fun and powerful. I was blown away at how much power there is now.

I’m just going to cut the top or the bottom off and hollow it out a bit and pull the baffles on the pipes. They are rashed out and I don't want to spend any $ on it. I am eventually going to make my own 3 pipe setup but for now I can’t devote that kind of time or $ into a daily.
When I do my exhaust I am going to do this to it but keep it 3 pipes like the stock exhaust is with no crossovers. I do not like the 3 into 1 or 2 style look for this bike. I think the bike should keep 3 exhaust pipes, that is kinda the point of the rocket!
If anyone has any pictures, I could not find any, of the cat box opened, that would be VERY helpful.

WELL i pulled it apart today, I hope anyone looking for this finds this thread.
Cut the back off like this, take it to a shop for $50 and have it welded. I am going to weld it up but im leaving tonight for work out of state for 2 weeks so when i get back i will.
NO WONDER it had so little power and was getting hot!
20230715_122928[1].jpg
20230715_122939[1].jpg

So here's a fun crazy update. My work in ohio was interrupted by a days stay in the ER last Wednesday. Long story short, heat exhaustion dehydration and pushing myself to the limit in the heat last week did me in. Miserable but now I'm back in colorado, the ohio work is done and I'm working on the rocket again.
I drilled a few holes and welded it all up.
Remeber this is a no cost solution to keep riding and I plan on a custom exhaust soon.
my garage setup right now only has 2 20 amp 120v circuits. So I am running my 7500 watt generator to run my yes weld tig setup.
I'm by no means a good welder but I'm very happy with the results. Took about 2 hours of welding and about a gallon of gas to do.
20230730_182502.jpg 20230730_181036.jpg 20230731_132510.jpg 20230731_151731.jpg 20230731_132522.jpg 20230731_153258.jpg
20230731_153247[1].jpg

Last edited:
So i found some Cobra 6003 pipes on eBay for a really good deal, they look nearly identical to the classic pipes.
I am going to cut off the 90*s off the original pipes, weld a few inches of pipe to them and put the cobra's on. The eBay listings i found i was able to get 3 flawless ones out of a 2 pair order used.
I am going to use these pipes on the final exhaust i do for it. see video above at post # 6.
Thats a winters project after i put the nighthawk back together! but i can get these pipes on now.
I just got the cat box back on and im really happy with it.
s-l1600 - Copy.jpg s-l12600 - Copy.jpg

Little update.
I had a heck of a scavenger hunt today for some scrap 1-3/4 stainless pipe and some flat stock.
After going to scrap metal and exhaust shops etc... even stopped at steel cycles ... if you have not been, do it.
Ended up at imperial motorsports of denver. Dan hooked me up with a scrap piece off something idk what. And some 1" flat stock for free.
I got the single side mocked up ready to weld.
I was able to fire it up mocked up. Just like this it sounds perfect! Cant wait till all 3 are done.
20230804_174733.jpg 20230804_174050.jpg 20230804_154652.jpg

Back