Canister

Standard Bore
Ride
2011 rocket 3
I bought this bike back in May and have put almost 5000 miles on it and when I changed the oil I put high milage car oil in it about 2k miles ago I've changed the oil with mobile 1 racing 4t multiple times since then and my oil is still turning grey. When the barnett clutch was put in there were some issues with adjustment. Which made it so the clutch was never fully engaged or disengaged. That was sorted out but the clutch started slipping again and it's kicking me out of 4th gear. It doesn't matter if I downshift into 4th or upshift. If I go on the throttle even a little while in 4th it will kick me into 3rd or a false neutral. Here are pictures of my detent spring and my friction plates. From what I can tell the detent spring isn't broken but I haven't taken the basket out to check. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231203_145759.jpg
    20231203_145759.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231203_151943.jpg
    20231203_151943.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231203_151939.jpg
    20231203_151939.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231203_145753.jpg
    20231203_145753.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231203_145601.jpg
    20231203_145601.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 28
I bought this bike back in May and have put almost 5000 miles on it and when I changed the oil I put high milage car oil in it about 2k miles ago I've changed the oil with mobile 1 racing 4t multiple times since then and my oil is still turning grey. When the barnett clutch was put in there were some issues with adjustment. Which made it so the clutch was never fully engaged or disengaged. That was sorted out but the clutch started slipping again and it's kicking me out of 4th gear. It doesn't matter if I downshift into 4th or upshift. If I go on the throttle even a little while in 4th it will kick me into 3rd or a false neutral. Here are pictures of my detent spring and my friction plates. From what I can tell the detent spring isn't broken but I haven't taken the basket out to check. Any advice would be appreciated.
Everyone- this is my old '11 Roadster. I suggested he post here because some of you guys have experience with the detent spring and transmissions. I just talked with him by phone and wanted to add some things he told me but forgot to mention here.

He said the oil continues to have grey "stuff" in it- I'm thinking it's the clutch pads.
He said the pads look brown (not grey)- lighter brown in the front and dark brown in the middle. Maybe burnt? They look grey to me in the photos though.
He said when he pokes the detent spring there is some movement on one end- is that normal?

If you need clarification on any of those things you'll need to ask him.

I do not believe the detent spring will move. The pads and steels are shot, high mileage car oil probably had friction modifiers in it and the pad material dissengrates. Keep using motorcycle oil, get a new clutch pack, probably gonna have to get in there for that detent spring, and set clutch up correctly and it will be golden, my best guess from afar

I do not believe the detent spring will move. The pads and steels are shot, high mileage car oil probably had friction modifiers in it and the pad material dissengrates. Keep using motorcycle oil, get a new clutch pack, probably gonna have to get in there for that detent spring, and set clutch up correctly and it will be golden, my best guess from afar
I will say here now, and will then step back (well, maybe :)) that when talking to the OP earlier that there are certain people on this forum who will chime in who definitely know their $h1t and Kevin Frazier was definitely on that list, so ..... there you go. Good advice.

Thanks but in my case its from messing up over and over 😂 i have spent quite a bit of time fondling the detent spring and messing up clutch pads because of improper adjustment and improper install of the 2 large spacers in there. 😳 the op will get it strait. Hot rods are unforgiving when they dont like things.

Maybe a few Powershifts.......I might know of a transmission that suffered that fate....Dogs wore from not being fully engaged before clutch engaged and power fully applied...sometimes referred as heavy wear.

Last edited:
Back