Jumping out of 4th gear - Gearbox rebuild

Chariot

.040 Over
Ride
2017 Rocket 3 R modified trike to take wheelchair
Many thanks to the guy who pointed me at Carl Inkley at Just Rockets , what a star.

My 2017 Rocket3 trike started jumping out of 4th gear. Managed to get the summer out of it but by autumn was looking to get the gearbox overhauled. In October I sent the trike down to Paul at Paul Lumley engineering to have the engine taken out and sent to Carl. Getting the engine out was a bit of a struggle, not like the solo and while it was out we modified the chassis so that a piece could be removed and a new prop shaft 2mm shorter was fabricated. Now there is enough clearance that the prop shaft flange at the transfer box can be undone and the prop shaft dropped down and slid back so the engine can be removed. Hell of a performance but it was the only way.

Despite not being in the best of health at the time Carl had the engine, gearbox and a new clutch fitted and back down to Paul in a coupe of weeks. It looks like my engine had a bit of a chequered past. Carl found the oil pump had been off at some time and the pinion bolt stripped (seems triumphs torque value in the workshop manual is too high) There was a lot of clutch sludge through the engine and a fair bit of wear in the mains and big end shells, fortunately the shaft was ok.

As my trike is classified as a disabled vehicle I don't pay VAT on repair or transport so that took some of the sting out of it. Looking forward to spring now with overhauled engine and transmission. If anyone's interested I can give them a list of parts used.

I used Russ at Russ Waite Transport to bring the trike back in an enclosed trailer, would highly recommend him.

Could you pm me the parts as I am in the process of ordering parts for a rebuild? Also what clutch parts do you use?
Hi I used a barnet clutch with barnet clutch springs also used 2mm washer to add preload to the springs . Send me your email and ill forward you my invoice with the parts

Back