Stanley R Gray

.020 Over
Ride
09 Rocket III Touring
I hate to start a new thread on transmission issues, but I have read so many on the subject that I am just getting more confused. I have an 09 Rocket Touring. Last night as I started home, as soon as I started rolling the transmission jumped out of gear but I didn't think much of it. I put it back in gear, stopped and started at several traffic lights in town, merged onto the highway and rode home at 70 miles an hour for about 45 minutes. As I got off of the highway and back into a slow speed zone through my home town, after attempting to down shift into second, it took many tries to get it in gear. It also jumped out of gear several times. I read one post which (if I understood it correctly) pointed to a blown out-put bearing and another post which pointed to a failed detent spring. Where is the detent spring, and how do I determine if it is tight enough. If it checks out, is the removal of the oil pan to look for metal my logical next step? Sorry for the redundancy. I'm just lost and confused.

I agree the detent spring would be the first place I'd look. Its about a 4 hour job and behind the clutch basket.
I am fairly mechanically minded but know nothing about how clutches work. To get to the spring, is there anything that will need to be readjusted, recalculated, replaced, or updated? The bike has 24,000 miles on it and as far as I know has never been touched mechanically. Thank you for the help. I was happier with the mirror issue. lol

I am fairly mechanically minded but know nothing about how clutches work. To get to the spring, is there anything that will need to be readjusted, recalculated, replaced, or updated? The bike has 24,000 miles on it and as far as I know has never been touched mechanically. Thank you for the help. I was happier with the mirror issue. lol
Ya it sure shows the symptoms of a broken dentent spring which is great as you do not have to remove the motor :) Now I have never worked on the touring model so some things might be different in the book but then I depart from the book for the standard models. You'll want to read up on the clutch section in the manual as you will be doing that to get at the detent spring. Short cuts I have found is things like there is no need to removed the front wheel and mud guard on the other models either cover the fender with a bath towel so you do not nick it with the radiator during removal or if the touring is like the other models you can actually pull the front mud guard off while the tire is on. Again the idea here is not to damage the fender when pulling the radiator. everything else like fan electrical should be in the same general area and sometimes you can reach the plug connector by just pulling the right side plastic neck cover. I say this as I think there is more involved with lifting the touring tank verses the standard models do to the harley gauge look :)

Have a look at the manual and ask away!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and here is a shot with the clutch basket out showing the location of the detent spring

detent spring location.jpg

larger view

detent spring large view.jpg

Last edited:
Back