Charging Problem

dj83us

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket III Classic
Hi all
I am a relatively new R3 owner, (2006 classic) love it but am having an issue that am hoping someone can assist with.

Am having charging problems and have read some earlier threads here on the subject which has provided some help but am slightly lost at the moment.

Stared with a flat battery a couple of months ago, hadn’t used the bike much in the weeks before so charged it up, and it wouldn’t start the next day. Battery was dated 2012, so decided it was probably past its use-by and replaced it. Stared fine a few times then a no-go.

Charged battery and tried again with same result.

Replaced the regulator / rectifier after reading some earlier posts. Sadly after about 4 starts there was not enough juice to fire the girl up.

I only did short trips on those 4 starts but would still think if it was charging OK it would have been sufficient to maintain the battery charge ?

Any assistance / suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks
David

Do you have a multimeter?

First thing to do is check the voltage when bike is running, to make sure it’s actually charging.

You might have a leak somewhere though, draining your battery.
Need a multimeter to check for that too

Do you have a multimeter?

First thing to do is check the voltage when bike is running, to make sure it’s actually charging.

You might have a leak somewhere though, draining your battery.
Need a multimeter to check for that too
If you don’t have a multimeter....
Run the motor. When indicators flash, using the horn or using the brakes, do the headlights dim a little? This will be a sign that the bike is running on the battery more than what the alternator is providing...a sure sign that the charging system is the issue.
However, I would check all the battery and power cable connections first...your bike, like mine, is 12 years old and corrosion can also be the culprit.

Not to many issues with the charging issues on this site. If you can rule that out with a multi meter their are several other things you can check.

Check clean all positive and negative connections from the battery to the starter.

Check ignition switch. Turn key on, turn handle bars back and forth see if she starts. Key switch is a common issue.

Starter relay. See if headlights go off when you hit the start button.

Starter can develop internal problems electrically. Can be rebuilt.

Starter button could be corroded, check connections.

Clutch switch,same as above.

Kick stand switch, same as above.

Sounds like a starting circuit issue to me but I may be wrong.

Good luck.

The multimeter, as mentioned, is the way to go. On the voltage setting put the probes on the pos and neg battery terminals. With the engine running you should be reading around 14.5 volts. If that is ok, then start looking elsewhere.

Thanks gents. The suggestions are much appreciated. A bit for me to do over the weekend.

Check for parasitic drain.... PARASITIC DRAIN

Also you can check with test light. Remove negative battery terminal and place the test light between the terminal and battery post. If the test light is real bright you probably have some type of parasitic drain. The light should come on because the battery is keeping the memory in the ECM.

Might not be part of your issue but thought it might rule out that out.

Back