Another idle problem

camccardell

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
hey guys.
After trying to install my rivco risers and not being able to lift the tank anymore, I put everything back to stock.
For some reason my idle is loping around 500 rpms now. Kinda strange but maybe I just need to adjust a cable.
Anyway, I was thinking this would be a good time to address my high idle problem I was having from before. I had removed my idle solenoid so I wouldn't have problems, yet occasionally the idle would still hang when the bike was hot.

So I figured time to get this thing back to factory and start over. Re-flashed the ecm to the factory tune for now.
Installed new tips. Set it to .60v and .72 exactly and reinstalled the stepper motor obviously. Reset adaptation. Even did the 12 min tune.

When I start the bike it revs up to 2200rpm and will slowly drop down to idle. Might take 10 seconds to a miniute. Crack the throttle and it will sometimes hang, sometimes not.
Took it for a few rides. Always seems to hang now. Throw it in idle and wait 20-30 seconds and it drops again.
I've done the iscv reset multiple times. Getting very discouraged.

I wonder if you have tried disconnecting the push arm of the idle stepper motor ?

If you haven't, you might try that, and run it and see if you still have the anomalous behavior.

I'm not aware of something, independent of the adjustments you've already made, that would be other than the stepper motor.

What do you mean disconnect the push arm?
I have had the motor removed from the equation completely before and still had some high idle problems. Which part is the push arm? What would we be testing for?

A bit of lube (WD40) under the rubber boot on the stepper motor may help if you haven’t already... could be a bit dry depending where it’s been sitting.

Well, if the Idle Stepper Motor is removed completely, ignore my suggestion.

I thought removing the motor generated an error code in the ECU that causes problems.

How did you deal with that ?

Also, I'm sorry to read your Rivco risers didn't work for you - I guess I was aware that the handle bars differ on the different model bikes.

The risers were near essential for me, and while close, the tank still clears on my Touring.

I suppose, an option (you may have considered, and already rejected) would be to change the handle bar to be more compatible with the risers.

Remove the cotter pin, from the idle arm. Pull it out. Its tricky because the throttle cable flywheel is on the way. Clean and lube with a mini drop of oil. Can reinstall or just leave off. Keep and washers, vinyl and nut on the stepper motor shaft... just in case. Reconnect the stepper. If the bike don't wana start give it some throttle while cracking. If it won't idle, the master idle need to be adjusted. It might be tricky since it has been yellow sealed at the factory and there is little space behind the TPS to reach the locking nut. Remove the butterflies while you are at it. Forget the check engine light.

IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG
idle movment 1.jpg

IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1236.JPG idle movment 1.jpg

Removed mechanical side of stepper motor a long time ago. Electrical still hooked up. No check engine light. Runs great idles great. You just have to let it warm up a bit before taking off. Which i do anyhow to get oil circulation going.

Back