Found the problem

I won't mention any names, but the previous owner was born south of the Rio Grande and is known to frequent these parts.

Loopy.jpg ???????????????????????????????????

Awhile back replaced fuel gauge sender in tank. Worked great for about two months and then the bar graph on the fuel level stopped working. Every time i hooked the bike up to Tune ECU gauge would come back on but would not reset after adding fuel. Then we started to have a problem every so often with the start button not working. Turn key on and off and it would work again. Then we had a problem one night every thing worked but headlights would not come on. Really frustrating after all the maintenance work i have done to the bike in the last few months. Thought about it and gave the ignition switch a shot of three in one oil. Seemed to work but after a day or two problems would come back to haunt me. Fuel bar graph would not function at all. Well being of a simple mind and not known for being real smart we broke it down to two elements. Ignition switch and KEY. Yes indeed switch out keys and fuel bar graph came on after about 100 ft of travel. Stopped and got gas. After getting gas within 100 ft the bar graph adjusted showing a full tank. Two days now and no issues at all. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Confirmed that it was the old key. Went out this morning with old key and after about four starts the start button quit working. Used new key and started right up. :D:D:D:D:D:D

So...weird... lol

So you are saying that the actual key itself was the problem ?
So does this mean that it wasn't turning the switch around far enough to make a solid contact ?
Yes. It was not turning something that is for sure.
Ignition switch goes bad erratically and gradually, I doubt it's the key. I've been richarding around with mine for over a year, finally bought a @DEcosse keyless system.
This is a 2015 not the old style.

Received two keys when i bought the bike along with key for making a new one. Used the one key for over 42,000 miles. Comparing the used key to the other there is a lot of wear and tear. No problem and over 500 miles. Gas gauge is working. Bike starts every time and have no issues with the headlights. Understanding the mechanics of it no clue. Just glad it worked.

Back