Speedometer reading 3 mph over. Any way to calibrate?

I was surprised to see how many responses my question got. It appears the thread got side-tracked but that's OK because much of it was funny. But, based on the replies that had something to do with my original question, I think I'll just live with the speedo error. I rather have that than an odometer error if that's the trade-off.

Thanks guys! :)

I was surprised to see how many responses my question got. It appears the thread got side-tracked but that's OK because much of it was funny. But, based on the replies that had something to do with my original question, I think I'll just live with the speedo error. I rather have that than an odometer error if that's the trade-off.

That's the thing around here, it can go 2 posts or 200... all threads get side tracked =)

The funny story mentioned here reminded me of something that happened back in the 60s although it has nothing to do with bikes. A friend was speeding and a cop tried to pull him over. The idiot took off in a long, high-speed chase that went on for miles and miles. He finally was caught when he turned down a dead end road running along a canal. The cop came out with his ticket pad ready to write a bunch of tickets. My friend looked up at the cop with his pad and pen ready to start writing tickets and said, "I'll take two cheeseburgers, and order of fries and a chocolate shake." The cop broke out laughing so hard he could hardly breathe and he let my friend go without a ticket. True story!

At times the threads go way off the original subject. Then it comes back again. Have never asked a question with out someone answering it. EVENTUALLY.;);););););):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I would STRONGLY recommend you leave it as be. The stock system is a safety check. If the limit is 60 and the speedo says 60 then you are legal.

Remember that your speed relative to rpms changes as the tyre wears.

If you really need absolute spot speed - fit an additional GPS speedo.

I must apologize for my ignorance of your motor being a Touring model and not a Roadster. :banghead:
Shallow thinking on my part . . . :(

I got pulled over by a female OPP cop one time and they have a reputation for never dropping the speed on a ticket, and as she checked out my license she looked at me and said "Is this you?" I answered yes and she replied ."then this must be a very old picture" (the pic was a few years old and my goatee. that's a beard @scot in exile don't get excited, had started to turn gray).
I said," with a line like that a date is right out of the question". She stared at me for a moment then realised what she had said and as the light went on she laughed and let me off with a warning and told me about the radar trap further up the road that the regionals had.

Last edited:
Zonelll, Your speedometer is off by a percentage not a set mph. i.e. If your speedometer is saying 50 mph while your gps is saying your going 47 mph. 3 mph at 50 is a -6% error, and if u take it up to where your speedometer says your going 100mph ... your gps will now say your going 94 mph. 6 mph off at 100 .. -6% error. Your correction in tuneecu is to enter a -6.0 correction, and it will be relatively accurate ... For a while :) Or you can take any reading and like joesmoe pointed out enter your readings into the speedo healer calculator.

Back