Speedometer reading 3 mph over. Any way to calibrate?

Well that’s unfortunate. I was told in the past that speed could not be adjusted through the ECU. So I started searching for other options. Doubly unfortunate because I have the cable and have a Hans0 tune in it now.
Well, at least as the little tear runs down your cheek you will know better next time! Just a real 'pita' this time

Okay. It is a year and a half since the last reply. I've been trying to find out what the Speedometer settings should be in TuneECU.
As Claviger mentioned setting it at -5% will correct the speedometer to match the real speed. (GPS stuff). So I assume that the factory setting is 0 (zero)?

I see this number different in all sorts of TuneECU maps.

I have a 2010 Touring... does this apply to me? What percent have you guys been running?

Yes, can be corrected in TuneECU. And setting, well too many variables for anyone to tell you the setting. You need to work it by trial and error. You can make a pretty good approximation. Time yourself on known benchmarks -- around here, some roads have tenth markers which can be helpful. Best is a GPS-sensing speedo (Android phone apps work well for this) and run a constant speed on flat ground is best, and elevated speed (speed limit out west is fine). Take the indicated speed, and subtract the actual speed to find the difference. Divide the difference by the actual speed (GPS-driven), and this will give you the percentage that you're over. Make that adjustment via TuneECU, and rinse and repeat until you've reached your good enough. It really doesn't matter what is the factory setting - you're going to adjust to what is correct for your tires on your bike.

Yes, can be corrected in TuneECU. And setting, well too many variables for anyone to tell you the setting. You need to work it by trial and error. You can make a pretty good approximation. Time yourself on known benchmarks -- around here, some roads have tenth markers which can be helpful. Best is a GPS-sensing speedo (Android phone apps work well for this) and run a constant speed on flat ground is best, and elevated speed (speed limit out west is fine). Take the indicated speed, and subtract the actual speed to find the difference. Divide the difference by the actual speed (GPS-driven), and this will give you the percentage that you're over. Make that adjustment via TuneECU, and rinse and repeat until you've reached your good enough. It really doesn't matter what is the factory setting - you're going to adjust to what is correct for your tires on your bike.
Thanks Paul!! I don't suppose I need to to the 20 Minute tune each time I change just that setting, right?

Back