Speedometer quit, now repaired (with help from friends)

One ride from Philadelphia to Minneapolis, going through toll booths in Chicago, was I ever riding highway at speed in water close to what you describe. As stable as that big boy is, crap if I had to panic stop I would still be sliding....yes I am older now. Don’t make that a habit please.

Good luck with tracking down this issue.

Just my 2 cents..awhile back my speedo stopped completely on my Roadking. I pulled the magnetic sensor and it was covered with dirt and metal filings once i cleaned them off it worked fine.
|

Just my 2 cents..awhile back my speedo stopped completely on my Roadking. I pulled the magnetic sensor and it was covered with dirt and metal filings once i cleaned them off it worked fine.
|
Triiik, when I pulled mine, it only had oil on it, no metal flakes or shavings. I think it may still be the broken wires like Decosse says.
@Jag I have always believed that one buys a bike to ride the hell out of it. One simply does not pass on hot passionate sex just so their girl is fresh for the next guy...

Triiik, when I pulled mine, it only had oil on it, no metal flakes or shavings. I think it may still be the broken wires like Decosse says.
@Jag I have always believed that one buys a bike to ride the hell out of it. One simply does not pass on hot passionate sex just so their girl is fresh for the next guy...
:thumbsup::sneaky::ninja:

REPAIRED! I opened the shrink wrap @Joesmoe and I had finished with on Sunday and just like @DEcosse thought, the liquid tape we used had not cured and all three wires were in contact with each other.
20190604_171145.jpg

I cleared the now cured liquid tape and found the solders to be strong, thus I did not cut the wires to start over.

20190604_171401.jpg

I insulated each wire with electrical tape then wrapped them all together.
I rode the bike and saw the speedometer climb as normal and the self canceling blinker function has returned. It took about 3 miles before the gas gauge registered but it is back as well.
Thank you Paul for your time and help with troubleshooting and the learning point about proper curing time on liquid tape. Maybe even to not use it ever again.
And thank you too Ken for diagnosing the road speed indicator as the issue and not the "Red herring" of water intrusion. It may be that the water hit was what finally broke the wires as they are right on the bottom of the engine, but that is just a guess.

It is such a relief not to need dealer intervention!

REPAIRED! I opened the shrink wrap @Joesmoe and I had finished with on Sunday and just like @DEcosse thought, the liquid tape we used had not cured and all three wires were in contact with each other.
20190604_171145.jpg

I cleared the now cured liquid tape and found the solders to be strong, thus I did not cut the wires to start over.

20190604_171401.jpg

I insulated each wire with electrical tape then wrapped them all together.
I rode the bike and saw the speedometer climb as normal and the self canceling blinker function has returned. It took about 3 miles before the gas gauge registered but it is back as well.
Thank you Paul for your time and help with troubleshooting and the learning point about proper curing time on liquid tape. Maybe even to not use it ever again.
And thank you too Ken for diagnosing the road speed indicator as the issue and not the "Red herring" of water intrusion. It may be that the water hit was what finally broke the wires as they are right on the bottom of the engine, but that is just a guess.

It is such a relief not to need dealer intervention!

Topical because this is a perfect illustration of why this is a TERRIFIC forum...only because of it’s members!

Back