I run a 3 into 4 exhaust system on my rocket. It was custom made by a company in england Stealth Exhausts,on the dyno got 161 bhp. on the dyno.

I just want something different that no was has yet and it sounds like ehaust systems and headers there a lot involved on makeing them then I thought . So I figure if a bought a high performanc exhaust system for a sports bike that they spent so much money in designing and I bought a pair of Jardines that the exhaust got all scratched up and cut them off and put a pair of these high performanc exhaust systems and got a tunboy and had my dealer tune it just like they do with all the other bikes . Won't I have the best of both worlds? I don't mind spending more to have something different and with good headers and nice pipes and the tuneboy to ajust . What's the invention there? why wouldn't it work?

If you're serious, you should get in touch with TravelGuy. He's done the engineering and his systems look real nice.

Marcus:

You are absolutely right, anything will work. You could in theory use the tubing from a vacuum cleaner for the exhaust system...don't laugh, it's been done. I like the Folgers idea besides, I've always enjoyed the smell of roasting coffee.

TravelGuy has already jumped through the engineering hoops, why not get a set of actual headers from him and go from there. Besides, didn't Hombre have a Super Trapp disk silencer on his R3? I thought I saw a picture of his when I was lurking over there one time. Like I said previously, the stock exhaust header on the R3 isn't really a header, it's a manifold made from thin wall stainless and fabricated to be aesthetically pleasing not efficient. About the only time you'd not need a tuned header to realize full potential from a heat engine is in the case of turbocharging where you just want to get the most exhaust gas flow to the hot side of the turbo. After the exhaust gas has spent it's energy in the paddle wheel, you can dump it in a convenient place and you really don't need a muffler as the turbine wheel breaks up the sound waves quite nicely.

Just because something is considered "performance" for a 600cc sport bike that revs to 14,000 RPMs doesn't mean it will offer greater performance on a 2300cc bike at 6300 RPMs.

Travelguy has a system like you are wanting and he has done a dyno run or two to tweak the set up.

"That sucker was fast and handled like a fat lady with big boobs"
flipstr... im still fckn laugh'n
guys thanks for the coodos but some things in life you have to learn for yourselves. cane i wish you well in your quest. i know it seems like well why can't i just do this or that. well you can it just wont work well. flipstrs got the theory stuff right. ive had an 1/8 of an inch diff in a collector od choke point cost me 5 hp and 4 lbs. torque. to my knowledge i am the only one who has ever gotten rid of the torque dip at 2400-2800 rpm. strictly by accident mind you :) there are lots of theory behind headers and exhausts and as i and the 2 world know exhaust engineering firms i have worked with on this will tell you.. when it comes to the r3 it's build it till it works . all but the basics are out the window.

flipstr gonna have the web site by next week. ill set up a button so folks can click and order your stuff through you................. brians glazed donut thumbs gotta go though :) so someone get me a good pic.

Exhaust

Thanks you guys you came up with some good points we all have great idea's but I like to ask alot of questions I just hate spending money and have a regret and my wife saying I told you so:) I'm still hearing how much money I lost with my custom work done to my VTX and sold it because I seen the Rocket and just had to have it:) Travelguy do you only have just the one design header to choose from? I'll keep my eyes open when you post up your new sight. Travelguy there was an exhaust that caught my eyes and still doe's but not sure on sound or performance or how to hook up. If I used one of your headers and you put on the tailgunners one each side. There is no baffal and comes in a five or four inch diameter in your professional expereance useing a tuneboy how would that sound and perform in your apinon? I told you I like different:)

exhaust

yea I seen that its different but I like a exhaust on both sides. Besides I would think the pipes going under the engine would take the clearance away from turnning.

Back