Is there a upgraded/heavier duty circlips for the Transmission

Noir_Nikko

.020 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket III PIG, 2007 Rocket III Faithful
Hello Brains Trust,

I am Rebuilding my transmission
(3rd and 4th gear failed as a result of the infamous $5 clip) :( :( :(

I'm getting the parts list together to rebuild it and am highly curious if there is a better version for these clips?

CIRCLIP,EXT,29X1.5 T3500202 #23

Also open to suggestions of any other parts one might forget about?
(have the *UPDATE KIT* list and will be doing the ones I want like detent spring etc, half of it is meh, fuel sender, ign etc and for $1700 nope)

All help held in high regards cheers Trav

Attachments

• tr-0606-100.gif
    tr-0606-100.gif
    210.5 KB · Views: 13
Hello Brains Trust,

I am Rebuilding my transmission
(3rd and 4th gear failed as a result of the infamous $5 clip) :( :( :(

I'm getting the parts list together to rebuild it and am highly curious if there is a better version for these clips?

CIRCLIP,EXT,29X1.5 T3500202 #23

Also open to suggestions of any other parts one might forget about?
(have the *UPDATE KIT* list and will be doing the ones I want like detent spring etc, half of it is meh, fuel sender, ign etc and for $1700 nope)

All help held in high regards cheers Trav
Robinson Industries has a better circlip. But I think they have to remachine the groove in the shaft in order to fit it. They also offer a billet 4th gear and gear backcutting. I'd recommend sending the trans components to them to be reworked.

definitely get the dogs undercut while it's all apart...do the whole trans.

The circlips appear to be stamped so one side of bore is rounded. If the rounded edge faces away from the gears in its race then they can be forced out. Making sure the clip is oriented correctly is the obvious fix. I believe @Rocket Scientist investigated machining a wider and deeper race and fitting a beefier clip - but the clip isn't exactly small to begin with. The limit for making the race deeper is the hollow in/out shafts.

Excellent, excellent, excellent, great info cheers gents

You can also size the circlip , order heavier (thicker) replacements and have any machine shop grind them to finished width. All the rest is nice, but not really necessary If the dogs aren’t rounded.

You can also size the circlip , order heavier (thicker) replacements and have any machine shop grind them to finished width. All the rest is nice, but not really necessary If the dogs aren’t rounded.

Knowing what I know now, if I ever have another gearbox apart it will get the gears back cut. My rocket shifted terrible when I got it. I figured it was just the nature of the beast. With the gears back cut it shifts smoother and easier than the Valkyrie I just sold.

Update.
Devastated!! To say the least!!

Towards the end of last year finally got her back together, started first go on a stand, ran through the gears (nervous more than anything), everything seemed good, changed through all gears nice and smooth, happy days. (put about 2000kms after gearbox rebuild)
For the last couple of months it has had a intermittent issues where RPM would get stuck between 800-2000 rpm (cornering wasn't fun).
After checking, TPS volts, VAC lines, MAP sensor, lubricating everything so on and so forth, eventually found a thread pointing me in the direction of the Idle Stepper Motor.
I disconnected the linkage, adjusted the idle screw and took her for a ride, happy, happy days finally after all this it was running perfectly!!!!
20mins down the road (riding calmly and gentle, same as last time, exactly the same) and bang, EXACT SAME THING!! stuck in 5th, eventually got it out of 5th, no 4th or 3rd, rode her home and its now parked in the shed, no where near ready to tear her apart again (TIME & MONEY)
Rang a mate who has a Rocket also, he didn't believe me at 1st. Then followed with he had blown his Rocket up that same day!!! :( :( :(
Knowing what I know now, I'd have the gears backcut and use bigger clips....... maybe in the future
Lost a lot of faith in Rockets, wonder how Carpenters make 240+HP kits!!

In the meantime,
Last time it blew was some of the most miserable months of my life and I want another bike ASAP.
I've been looking at others, Harleys to M109Rs etc and nothings compares.
I have found another Rocket, Black engine 06-07 model and for not a bad price, completely stock 33.000kms.....................

I've been told by the other half and I don't blame her NO!!
However I am going to look at it tomorrow, even with the bad taste in my mouth

Any suggestions, advice/help, inspiring words will be held in the highest regards, please someone convince me I'm not doing the stupidest thing ever when everyone is telling me NO!!

PS If I have two I can rebuild the other at my leisure and setup as a single seat with the other as a tourer (saddlebags etc)
or eventually if I need too sell one working with one spare and maybe not lose as much money IDK

TIA

Any 1st gen Rocket transmissions are a crap shoot. Some hang together some don't. When mine schit it's dress, I had my gears undercut and had the shafts machined to accept heavy duty circlips. I have a fair amount of confidence in it now, but am well aware it could hose me again. I like the bike so I'm willing to take the chance.

Back