Rocket nearly killed me

That's the very reason I never "tailgate" another rider ,as sometimes the rider rides faster than he is capable of because he doesn't want to be overtaken, anyone tailgates me and wants to pass I just let em go , too many offskees for this old dog,I ride at the speed I feel comfortable at and wont speed up to prove nothing,:cautious:
Very smart man, :)

That's the very reason I never "tailgate" another rider ,as sometimes the rider rides faster than he is capable of because he doesn't want to be overtaken, anyone tailgates me and wants to pass I just let em go , too many offskees for this old dog,I ride at the speed I feel comfortable at and wont speed up to prove nothing,:cautious:

Very wise indeed for a quite Aussie!
That Rocket fellow in the other thread crashed because he allowed a squid to push him and he exceeded his skill level.

This thread brings up bad, but important memories for me, having totaled two VTX 1800s within three years, one after 42 years of riding the other after 45 years in the saddle.

Neither accident was my fault or avoidable, so the takeaways are; #1.) Shyte happens, and; #2.) ATGATT is the only smart way to ride if you care about yourself and your loved ones.

This thread brings up bad, but important memories for me, having totaled two VTX 1800s within three years, one after 42 years of riding the other after 45 years in the saddle.

Neither accident was my fault or avoidable, so the takeaways are; #1.) Shyte happens, and; #2.) ATGATT is the only smart way to ride if you care about yourself and your loved ones.

Yesterday (Saturday) my old mate and I went for a nice ride to our favourite bikers coffee stop The Pie in the Sky at Berowra on the old Pacific Hwy, that has some of the best bike corners around here , when we left there where two bad bike accidents within 500 metres of each other on the corners, one rider was down and unconscious with a few people attending to him and the other the big sports bike was torn to pieces complete fairing off and front wheel off and the rider was over the other side of the guard rail prone, both appeared to be badly injured, this road attracts boy racers from all over despite a heavy Police presence , the carnage continues ,we didn't stop as there was a crowd of bikers already there and I have seen it all too many times, just a rush of blood and too much bike for most riders who are over confident of their riding skills.

Yesterday (Saturday) my old mate and I went for a nice ride to our favourite bikers coffee stop The Pie in the Sky at Berowra on the old Pacific Hwy, that has some of the best bike corners around here , when we left there where two bad bike accidents within 500 metres of each other on the corners, one rider was down and unconscious with a few people attending to him and the other the big sports bike was torn to pieces complete fairing off and front wheel off and the rider was over the other side of the guard rail prone, both appeared to be badly injured, this road attracts boy racers from all over despite a heavy Police presence , the carnage continues ,we didn't stop as there was a crowd of bikers already there and I have seen it all too many times, just a rush of blood and too much bike for most riders who are over confident of their riding skills.

I was there sat as well Ken but stopped at pie in the sky around 1 pm

I would think that most older riders can look back over a string of crashes that let them develop their skills and the ability to assess the risks. I remember those that crashed and burned along the way and sometimes wonder how I got to be among the ones that are still enjoying the thrill of the run. So I'm thinking that it's easy to call up Darwin's theory of natural selection but at the end of the day young bulls will always push the limits until someone can claim the win. The old bulls will look on and shake their heads but I'm also thinking they may have a story about the day they cheated the reaper through good luck more than good management. Otherwise they wouldn't understand the "rush of blood".

Statistics claim it's older blokes returning to riding after years off a bike that make up a significant number of bike crash numbers. What with the newly licenced boy racers and the older blokes trying to keep pace with their mates (that have always ridden) .. it's a good idea to stay away from the more 'populated' bike roads I reckon. Poker Runs and the like are just f#ckin dangerous.

I was there sat as well Ken but stopped at pie in the sky around 1 pm

Gee Pete we were there at 11.30am and left at 12.,the crashes were down the hill towards the Hawkesbury bridge, one happened going down the hill and the second one a bit further down and the rider was coming up the hill ,the way they ride on this section nothing surprises me, we went to the Corrigated Café at Pete's Ridge (The old Oak café) and had lunch sorry I missed you .
Cheers

Statistics claim it's older blokes returning to riding after years off a bike that make up a significant number of bike crash numbers. What with the newly licenced boy racers and the older blokes trying to keep pace with their mates (that have always ridden) .. it's a good idea to stay away from the more 'populated' bike roads I reckon. Poker Runs and the like are just f#ckin dangerous.

I totally agree, I know a couple of blokes who rode 250's in the 70s and nothing for 40 years then cashed up they go out and buy the must have always wanted look at me Harley and all the designer HD regalia ,poonce around as pretend bad boys and wobble off into the distance,a recipe for disaster, and these guys are the ones who have never had experience to start with, but held a unrestricted M/C licence all those years because it comes with their car licence in NSW anyway I don't know about the other States,

There I was happily drinking Kool Aid and now I'm researching tranny upgrades for my 05 :cautious:

Oh yeah and when I crashed (2011) it was my fault spinning a new tire by accidental torque overdose and slippery stock seat. 7.8 second bull ride and finally put it down in my own lane. My orthopedic surgeon loves me :rolleyes:

Back