Rocket nearly killed me

Manic_Mechanic

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket
April 13th. Going out for a ride with my son following on his cafe racer Ducati. Just over a mile from the house I crashed on a mild curve. Broken ribs, clavacle, scapula, and a concussion which put me into an unconscious state. No memory of what happened. Son said he saw my rear tire skid out to the right but I recovered it. Skid out to the left and once again I recovered. One more time only this time it launched me into the air and the rocket went off the road in the other direction and into a fence. I came down on my left side and was not breathing. My son tried to pry my mouth open but my jaw was locked shut. After not having any air my jaw finally relaxed enough that he could get my mouth open. Still not breathing, he pulled my tongue forward and gave me mouth to mouth. Ambulance ride to trauma unit and two more days in the hospital.

On mothers day I rolled the rocket out of the garage and cleaned it up. Removed most of the damaged parts, changed the oil and fired her up. Ran her around the yard in first gear and it seemed good to go. Well I strap on a helmet and take her very cautiously on some back roads. A few miles into it I am feeling confident enough to go on some main roads. Still it seems fine. I get to an open stretch with no traffic and wind her up to 85 or so in third gear and grinning ear to ear. I am noticing that I am having a hard time getting into fifth now and have to downshift twice and then back up through the gears and fifth is ok. Now I am thinking that there is an issue so I take it cautiously again. I get into a small town and approaching a nasty railroad crossing. I start downshifting and all of a sudden (I have no idea which gear I was in) there is a LOUD CLUNK in the engine and the rear tire locks up. The bike skids out to the right and I recover it. She skids out to the left and I recover again. Starting to sound familiar? One more time she starts to skid out but fortunately I am slow enough that I can get her off the road without dumping.

So now there is a fifteen foot skid mark on Main Street and a smaller one in my underwear. At least now I know what happened in the first place but no way in hell would I ever feel safe on her ever again even after the issue was repaired. Found an 09 for sale just 15 minutes from me and put money down to hold it til insurance check arrives which it did this week. Friday I will once again be mounting a Rocket but I don't know If I can shake the thought of a tranny issue getting me killed.

Wish me luck!

I had a Yamaha lock up on me like that when I was a kid. Scared the crap out of me and chewed up a back tire and it was just a little bike. I'm glad to hear you are doing ok and Mully is absolutely right, your son IS a hero!

I had a Yamaha lock up on me like that when I was a kid. Scared the crap out of me and chewed up a back tire and it was just a little bike. I'm glad to hear you are doing ok and Mully is absolutely right, your son IS a hero!
That Yamaha wasn't an enduro was it? I can't remember if it was a 250 or a 500 but the piston rings had a habit of locking up on that bike.

Happened to me but once my brain realized what was happening I pulled the clutch before the skid was totally uncontrolled.

Since it was in the cylinder head NOT the tranny, clutch in saved the day.

Sorry to hear about that crash, sounds like a lawsuit to me.

Three cheers for your son!!!

I
That Yamaha wasn't an enduro was it? I can't remember if it was a 250 or a 500 but the piston rings had a habit of locking up on that bike.

Happened to me but once my brain realized what was happening I pulled the clutch before the skid was totally uncontrolled.

Since it was in the cylinder head NOT the tranny, clutch in saved the day.

Sorry to hear about that crash, sounds like a lawsuit to me.

Three cheers for your son!!!
It was actually a 90 cc street bike which was tall and skinny best I can remember. I was 9 or 10 and couldn't touch the ground on it. I would begin and end my ride by parking next to the curb. I think it was the tranny because I remember my Dad unjamming it somehow and I got a couple more months out of it before I tried to change the rear tire without help and didn't put something back together right and ruined it.

I know what your feeling I have not been on a bike since my accident on Mothers day 2013. Mine did not survive and I am eagerly working on my other rocket whilst looking for a back up bike. Thinking maybe a smaller one like a sprint for just a different feel. Just can't make up my mind as I have found a low mileage 09 Classic just waiting on a new owner. I was lucky in my accident I only broke three vertebrae and my left wrist :D Moral of the story do not ride in Canada in may as snow. hail, and 50 mph winds do not make a good mix!!

Glad your doing ok, and may your recovery be fast even though it seems your like me and not doing what the doctors say to do :)

Last edited:
Kudos to your boy for maintaining his composure and knowing what to do in the first place! Never easy when its a family member in danger. Glad to read about your courage in jumping straight back up, twice --- known too many blokes who've never ridden again after that sort of experience :thumbsup:

Taken me a while to get my confidence back after my off (only on the Rocket though ) ride like a lunatic on my old T'Bird and the Speed Triple .. it's like I'm waiting for the wheels to go out from under me again when on the Rocket , especially on wet roads ..taken time but better than I was 12 months ago.

Back