Poor Man's Performance

Deuce5150

.020 Over
Ride
1997 Speed Triple and 2005 Rocket III
Hello,

I've got a standard, bone stock, 2005 Rocket III with about 25,000 miles on it. I got it about three years ago and have been riding blissfully ever since. Now, it seems I have a bee in my bonnet to "wake it up a bit". The problem is I have much more time than money. I'm looking for the dreaded "cheap mods".

I've been doing a bunch of reading and from what I understand the best thing I can do is load a new tune with TunECU to remove the factory restriction in the first three gears. I have downloaded the program and will be ordering a cable shortly.

After that, I'd like to remove all the redundant plumbing under the seat/tank and install either a Ramair kit or three K&N RU-2780 filters. Opinions on which is better?

Following that I'd like to get a cat bypass and remove/modify the stock exhaust baffles. I like the look of the factory pipes and new exhaust is too pricey for me.

After all of this I'd like to use TunECU to get the corresponding engine mapping in there and off I'll go. I know that this list of mods won't give me a significant increase in power, but a bit more shove and a bigger noise are all I'm looking for.

Thoughts? My biggest fear is doing irreversible damage and turning my perfectly running bike into a paperweight or making it run terribly.

Is any of this a good idea? Any info or advice you have would be awesome!

Last edited:
It sounds good to me. However, the biggest power gain is from removing the Catbox, and it will also increase the noise a bit - but not too much. The TORS add a bit more power, but not that much - and a lot more noise. I don't know that many people have had much success with gaining power by drilling the OEM pipes, so you may want to think about that a bit before you do it. Sometime you can get used TORs fairly cheap, so that may be an option.

I have triple filters, but if I were doing it again I would get the RamAir.

I have a tune for triple filters, cat delete, and stock pipes when you need it. It should work for RamAir as well, although it may be a bit lean. I'm sure @HansO could help you with that though, if you ask him nicely.

Thanks! The drilled pipes are what I'm most iffy on as the rest seems easily reversible. If the cat bypass adds a bit of noise, that is all I'm after. I don't need it to be deafening.

bypass and tors sounds like what u need. just keep checking the rocket classified.
i got the tune ecu cable $20 and with the tors tune just put the secondarys at 100% over 3500 rpm and the rev limiter at 6800 rpm to give it a little more power when u are getting after it.
there are tunes on here that does more if u want.

If you're keeping the bearclaw intact I'd say go ramair. If you don't mind cutting the claw go with 4040s or 1770s. As for the exhaust, I'm with everyone else; I'd say find a set of TORs.

Yeah, I'd like to keep the bear claw. I'm going to stick with stick exhaust for now. $$. I'm thinking ram air, cat and tune sound promising.

Filter wise - if you go for Raimair especially - consider the Aussie Bear Claw made by Les (OZrider).
It does aid cool air intake as it seams to seal against the lower edge of the filter thus reducing hot air from the radiator being sucked up under the claw.

Cat delete will work.
If you want it low cost, you don´t need KNs or Ramair.
Just open the airbox in the area above the throttle bodys and close it with filter foam.

Prost
Ulf

Back