Newbee performance question?

I just purchased a 2017 totally stock triumph rocket. I noticed today while cruising 60 miles an hour the RPM was 2500 RPM. My Harley friends and other bike friends like to do roll-on’s from 60 or 70 miles an hour up. I’m kind of new to the horsepower versus torque performance on these bikes. My question is if I was going to do a roll-on from say 65 is it better to just accelerate in fifth gear or down shift into fourth or even third to get more RPM to take on these other bikes?

The stock speed and rpm settings are lower than what is possible. Also the AFR is rather lean. The simple quick changes you can make with TuneECU is easy.
Stock rpm limit set at 6300. Increase to 7000
Stock speed limiter set at 125. Increase to 186. Bike will never go that fast, but it will go faster than 125.
Stock radiator fan on temp 103 C. Lower to 96 C.
Stock speedometer shows you are going much faster than reality. You can adjust that too.

To get that extra umph, get a RamAir intake filter and some sort of slip-om mufflers. A set of TORS, D&D, or Paul Bryant mufflers or full system.

The lowest cost route is RamAir, TORs/D&D and a dyno tune. RamAir is easy to get on Ebay for less than $150. Unfortunately finding a set of TORs or D&D slip-ons is a challenge. But with diligence and patience you can find them. Pricing ranges from $300 to $600. Then finding a good dyno tuner that uses TuneECU is another question but finding a Dyno tuner who uses DynoJet Power Commander V is usually available. The drawback to DJ PCV is the additional cost of the system. Another $400 to $800 for that stuff.

There are some canned tunes that help. I am not sure which are best to use in a 2017 Roadster stock bike. Someone will chime in with more info on that.

Warp My Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport has Traxxion Dynamics front and rear suspension. The handling of that bike is phenomenal. Go with TD.
0AABC1F2-B05D-4255-B885-832A7384E5A8.png
C5BAD878-DC98-4431-93CA-CC0CA555DE1F.jpeg

The stock speed and rpm settings are lower than what is possible. Also the AFR is rather lean. The simple quick changes you can make with TuneECU is easy.
Stock rpm limit set at 6300. Increase to 7000
Stock speed limiter set at 125. Increase to 186. Bike will never go that fast, but it will go faster than 125.
Stock radiator fan on temp 103 C. Lower to 96 C.
Stock speedometer shows you are going much faster than reality. You can adjust that too.

To get that extra umph, get a RamAir intake filter and some sort of slip-om mufflers. A set of TORS, D&D, or Paul Bryant mufflers or full system.

The lowest cost route is RamAir, TORs/D&D and a dyno tune. RamAir is easy to get on Ebay for less than $150. Unfortunately finding a set of TORs or D&D slip-ons is a challenge. But with diligence and patience you can find them. Pricing ranges from $300 to $600. Then finding a good dyno tuner that uses TuneECU is another question but finding a Dyno tuner who uses DynoJet Power Commander V is usually available. The drawback to DJ PCV is the additional cost of the system. Another $400 to $800 for that stuff.

There are some canned tunes that help. I am not sure which are best to use in a 2017 Roadster stock bike. Someone will chime in with more info on that.
Great information here! Are these simple changes totally a game changer or mild differences from stock? Say a stocker against one with these mods in quarter mile?

ps. I just read the new Rocket is under 10 seconds in quarter mile!

Great information here! Are these simple changes totally a game changer or mild differences from stock? Say a stocker against one with these mods in quarter mile?

ps. I just read the new Rocket is under 10 seconds in quarter mile!

They are worth doing. You will notice the difference and like it.

Then the slippery slope starts and the next thing you know you are buying Neville Lush Racings 200 HP kit and a complete system form Paul Bryant or LMS or some such system.

Well Darron that was a fun read! What year is your Rocket and is she basically stock? I went Harley hunting but the **** lights and traffic didn’t cooperate.
Have a 2012 Roadster I bought from a fellow in Houston last year. It had 4600 miles on it.
It is bone stock
Well Darron that was a fun read! What year is your Rocket and is she basically stock? I went Harley hunting but the **** lights and traffic didn’t cooperate.
It' a 2012 Roadster that I bought from a guy here in Houston last year. It had only 4600 miles on the clock and I gave him less than $6000 for it. Bike was like new and sitting in his garage with spider webs on it. It's still bone stock. 20200509_170208.jpg

Have a 2012 Roadster I bought from a fellow in Houston last year. It had 4600 miles on it.
It is bone stock

It' a 2012 Roadster that I bought from a guy here in Houston last year. It had only 4600 miles on the clock and I gave him less than $6000 for it. Bike was like new and sitting in his garage with spider webs on it. It's still bone stock. 20200509_170208.jpg
Very nice find! I paid a ton for my 17 but it’s basically new with 280 miles. I’m sure having fun on this beast!

Impressive thanks! I hate to see an engine choked and bogged down. They work hard for nothing and run hotter. Now I have to decide to mess wih a sweet stock bike!

Back