Newbee performance question?

Buckaroo

.020 Over
Ride
2017 Triumph Rocket Roadster
I just purchased a 2017 totally stock triumph rocket. I noticed today while cruising 60 miles an hour the RPM was 2500 RPM. My Harley friends and other bike friends like to do roll-on’s from 60 or 70 miles an hour up. I’m kind of new to the horsepower versus torque performance on these bikes. My question is if I was going to do a roll-on from say 65 is it better to just accelerate in fifth gear or down shift into fourth or even third to get more RPM to take on these other bikes?

Here she is!
  1. 99466429-EC22-4302-B8AE-1ADF99DC5661.jpeg

I just purchased a 2017 totally stock triumph rocket. I noticed today while cruising 60 miles an hour the RPM was 2500 RPM. My Harley friends and other bike friends like to do roll-on’s from 60 or 70 miles an hour up. I’m kind of new to the horsepower versus torque performance on these bikes. My question is if I was going to do a roll-on from say 65 is it better to just accelerate in fifth gear or down shift into fourth or even third to get more RPM to take on these other bikes?
Thats pretty much your choice!!!! It just depends on how much you want to spank you buddies. I say this because at 2500 in fifth gear you can just roll it on and overtake you buddies Harley's with little effort. Down shifting a gear will really male them jealous. Not third gear stock you won't get much benefit two down shifts and a stock rev limit you'll be close to the limit plus the two click times. If your bike was built then well doing a burnout at 60 mph can be fun and your budies might switch to Triumph!!!!!
But the fact still remains that you do not need to she will pull just fine.

Thats pretty much your choice!!!! It just depends on how much you want to spank you buddies. I say this because at 2500 in fifth gear you can just roll it on and overtake you buddies Harley's with little effort. Down shifting a gear will really male them jealous. Not third gear stock you won't get much benefit two down shifts and a stock rev limit you'll be close to the limit plus the two click times. If your bike was built then well doing a burnout at 60 mph can be fun and your budies might switch to Triumph!!!!!
But the fact still remains that you do not need to she will pull just fine.
I like to keep her stock except for maybe better breathing and possible tuner. The AC change out looks intense. Are there simple small tweaks that can give you a little more?

I like to keep her stock except for maybe better breathing and possible tuner. The AC change out looks intense. Are there simple small tweaks that can give you a little more?
I'll be honest with you. If I had it to do all over again which if I find a late 08 or a 09 classic I will. Anyway I've had horse power its nice but I would just do the pipes and air cleaner with good tuning. Then I would dump my money into the suspension. I went thru a couple rockets with good rear shocks but once I got the front end done it was like night and day. I have a set of forks to work over definitely with cartridges . Just can't decide which ones. Traxxion dynamics or the Italian made Mupo. The prices are close I'm leaning towards Mupo for more adjustability. Anyway have fun !!!!

I’ve had to Ducatis and Moto Guzy‘s and Harley‘s and ****** rockets and everything but this bike is really a hoot. I’ll probably take any improvements very cautiously and slowly after a lot of research.

Probably your best choice is try it on your own. I ride with a BMW 1100 and a harley glide and a big KAWI and they have all shown glimpses of attitude in group rides. I have dropped to 4 and then blown them into the tailwind. From 5 they have had the jump on me for a secong or two but I catch up easily. The BMR has enough to almost keep up.
This R3 (my 2005) has all that you need to dust them from 60 MPH or so.
I have found that they always drop a gear or two to try and get their RPM's up for a run away. The roll on from top gear against the same setup should be your challenge. Roll on from top gear against top gear.
And against a harley, you can probably have a cup of coffee before you respond to their lighthearted attempt to dust you.

Back