crashpete

Supercharged
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
My 2012 Roadster has an oil leak, I noticed it a few weeks ago. I let it sit then took it to a triumph dealer for a diagnosis. They say it's weeping from the bottom of the sump and a new gasket is 15 dollars, total price to fix is $387, including the diagnosis, I say I'll fix it myself and now I'm down a little over a 100 for the inspection, not terrible. While I'm there I order a service manual, $124. Here's the problem, I've been using Mobil 1 oil in the 10 w40 configuration, did that cause the leak or is this a common problem? I've also had similar oil leaks after using Mobil 1 in my wife's Impala. Causation or correlation?

Its not the oil but since your in a warm area I would be using 15W50 and if you cannot get the Mobile 1 4rt then switch to Motul 300V 15W50 or AMS oil 20W50 motorcycle oil or Red Line 20W50
the leaks well its not because of the oil.

And as a dealer diagnosed the issue and especially if there is oil above the sump you may want to check the rocker cover gasket as they more commonly develop leaks there from ill-fitted gaskets at the factory. Have a search on these forums and you will find plenty of instructions and photos etc.

If they were correct and it is the sump do a similar search with posts from @warp9.9 and @Steel for great instructions, photos and cautionary explanations. There are a heap of bolts to undo and replace but not all hold on the sump and some are easily missed. Essential you use a decent torque wrench when replacing and follow tightening sequence as per car wheels etc to get right tension even with correct torque values.

I changed my sump and sump gasket not long ago. It was my fault because I had a flat rear tire and rode the bike up on a trailer. As I was pulling onto the trailer I knocked out a fitting on the sump. :banghead:

You have bolts around the perimeter of the sump but also one bolt in the center of sump that is hid from view. Make sure you get that one and also keep track on where each bolt comes out of each hole.

I'm going to give the motul a try, mainly for the smoother shifting that I've read about on here.

I changed my sump and sump gasket not long ago. It was my fault because I had a flat rear tire and rode the bike up on a trailer. As I was pulling onto the trailer I knocked out a fitting on the sump. :banghead:

You have bolts around the perimeter of the sump but also one bolt in the center of sump that is hid from view. Make sure you get that one and also keep track on where each bolt comes out of each hole.
New sump pan 21 bolts.jpg

Oil sump pan bolts Since your pulling it for a leak take a look at the sump screens for debris. there might be some machining Swarf left over but anything else should be looked at.

The brown truck should be delivering my sump today.

@warp9.9 I remember your advise about blue locktite on the screen bolts. But thought there was something you recommended about grease on one side of the gasket & gasket seal on the other. Maybe it was another poster, but I cannot find the thread now. Sooo,... do you put anything on the gasket to help it stick?

Thanks,
Scott

The brown truck should be delivering my sump today.

@warp9.9 I remember your advise about blue locktite on the screen bolts. But thought there was something you recommended about grease on one side of the gasket & gasket seal on the other. Maybe it was another poster, but I cannot find the thread now. Sooo,... do you put anything on the gasket to help it stick?

Thanks,
Scott
When it comes to the sump pan gasket I clean both surfaces and the apply grease to the gasket so it will stick. I don't use any hylamar or permatex as I do not want to chance any squeezed out gasket sealer to get into the oil system. Especially around the port gasket area on the two scavenger pumps. Grease helps hold the gasket in place I stick it to the sump pan and go up slowly until I can get a few bolt threads in on say 4 corners. then I install every bolt before going up so I know the bolt holes in the gaskets are lined up. If the motor was upside down it would be easier but its still pretty easy with the bike on the kick stand. although I put a board under the kick stand to stand her more upright. While you under there clean you crank pickup sensor!!!!!!

Back