New Avon Cobra Chrome - any good

I personally want to see how you feel after a few weeks commuting, shame you don't see many curves though.

I found the Cobra original (front) fine when new, but it wore very asymmetrically and frighteningly fast at the end. To be fair it was VERY hot weather, I was fast cornering and the road surface was aggressive; but even so, 1mm of rubber in 100kms was serious.
Were you on the dark side? Or normal?

So after about 10 k miles on my Avon Cobras, today on my 05 , I replaced them with a set of new Cobra chromes. So far I have felt a much appreciated increase in handling as the previous Cobras were toast. I will post further updates as I run up the miles. I gotta tell you though this forum has ruined me when going into a dealership. I find no one with much or any passion for the brand or even a general knowledge of things discussed here everyday. Sad. They're going to sell the heck out of Royal Enfield. :mad::banghead::banghead:

After running a set of the Avon Cobras and now running the New Avon Chromes here is my review after 1,500 miles. No comparison. The New Avon Chromes are by far a better tire. The back tire has a much wider area of contact then the former. The front tire same. Results in better traction. Compared to the Bridgestone the New Cobra Chrome rear tire gets better traction. Never thought i would say that but it is true. Highway riding the tires have proven to smooth the bike out a lot. At speeds of 70 miles per hour the ride is noticeable smoother. Traction on wet roads is above expectations. Great tires to have mounted when out running a tornado. Yea we did that. Did get a shot at some back road riding on a road with a few turns and twist. Nice is all i can say about that. Real test will be at Maggie valley but can say the tires have built my confidence level up a bit. Bottom line is running the Cobra Chromes you have the advantage of running tires with matching patterns front and back. Results in a smooth ride. High speed runs very stable. At 135 miles per hour steady. No wobble at all. Hard take off's back tire grips rather well. Resulting in unexpected front end lift. The only review we can not give at this time is cold weather handling. This set of tires will be long gone before we can give that review but the next set of Avon Chromes will see how they perform under less than desirable conditions. Over all:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

@sonny What a good review buddy.

You have reflected my own thoughts precisely - I have myself just completed a 3000km ride through fog, 2 degree temps and some greasy roads at times both highway riding and back roads. I have no complaints at all with the chromes having covered a total of nearly 6000km since chromes were fitted late February. Great traction, braking and superior handling and above 100mph smooth cruising, really a great all round setup.

As I recall Sonny, you weren't a fan of the Cobras dur to traction when cold, a sentiment I shared and still do, the Cobra front is sketchy in the 30s and 40s.

Glad to hear your happy with the Chrome warm weather performance, I'll probably pick a set up just before three sisters to ensure I have some new shoes to abuse in Texas :)

I was thinking of trying a set next I'll have to see right now I am enjoying the Battle Criuse h50's in about 10 days we shall see how well they react in the mountians. If I try a set ill still go 140 in the front I like the axles to be the sa.e or slightly lower in the front. Ya do give up some ride discomfort from the larger wider poofy 150, but I like the steering response better. Im lucky the 18 inch 240 is not as tall as the 16 inch 240/55 so the rear is just slightly higher maybe 1/16" . Which makes a 140 ftont not as harsh. Now for the guys liking the exedra and a 140 front the battle criuse h50 might be worth a look at for testing.

I have the new Cobra Crome on the front and I like it. I do like the Exedra on the rear too.

After running a set of the Avon Cobras and now running the New Avon Chromes here is my review after 1,500 miles. No comparison. The New Avon Chromes are by far a better tire. The back tire has a much wider area of contact then the former. The front tire same. Results in better traction. Compared to the Bridgestone the New Cobra Chrome rear tire gets better traction. Never thought i would say that but it is true. Highway riding the tires have proven to smooth the bike out a lot. At speeds of 70 miles per hour the ride is noticeable smoother. Traction on wet roads is above expectations. Great tires to have mounted when out running a tornado. Yea we did that. Did get a shot at some back road riding on a road with a few turns and twist. Nice is all i can say about that. Real test will be at Maggie valley but can say the tires have built my confidence level up a bit. Bottom line is running the Cobra Chromes you have the advantage of running tires with matching patterns front and back. Results in a smooth ride. High speed runs very stable. At 135 miles per hour steady. No wobble at all. Hard take off's back tire grips rather well. Resulting in unexpected front end lift. The only review we can not give at this time is cold weather handling. This set of tires will be long gone before we can give that review but the next set of Avon Chromes will see how they perform under less than desirable conditions. Over all:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hey Sonny I keep forgetting to ask you if you put in for the rebate from Avon on the Chromes?It's a slow process but I just got notice of approval and my $60.00 bucks will be coming.

Back