New Avon Cobra Chrome - any good

I'm having a set of Cobra Chromes fitted tomorrow, with a 500-mile ride planned for the weekend. Really looking forward to seeing how they compare against the Metzelers. I'm down to the wear bars front and rear on the stock Metz's at 7100 miles. Hopefully the Chromes last longer. ****ed things aren't cheap.

I hope you are going to give us all your feedback after your 500mile ride all the good and the bad.

2500 klm on my chrome so far, a lot of wet road riding (not in rain just wet from rain) went over a mountain where I usually take extra care when wet but was able to get the courage up for a bit of a test and yep they do hold on well in the wet! Still feel brand new.............

That's encouraging... :)
-MIG

So, after 500 miles I have to say I love the Cobra Chromes. It feels like a different bike. Turn-in is faster and lighter, they're quieter, and grip is excellent.

For those familiar with the area, a buddy and I took Highway 12 through White Pass on the way from Tacoma to Tri-Cities. We got lucky with traffic and had the place pretty much to ourselves, so we were able to really open it up. Carving through those twisties I felt absolutely planted; the hero pegs got a workout this weekend. :D There was no feeling of wandering in the rear end. I'd also heard a rumor that these tires would wobble above 100 MPH. Between Moxee and Hanford there's a stretch several miles long that's perfectly flat and straight (and uninhabited). It's anecdotal of course, but my particular set of Avons do not wobble above 100 MPH. Or above 125 MPH for that matter. :evil:

In short, if these last at least as long as I got out of the stock Metzelers (~7k miles), I've found my new favorite shoes. Bonus points if they last longer.

I must say we haven't had any negative feedback as yet, early days I guess.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and input, keep it coming the more information we have the better we can understand the good and the bad things that come from using the Chromes on our R3's.

My opinion of the Avon Chromes and balancing the back tire has left me very impressed. Front tire to follow but looking at the trend design and the quality of the tires can easily say this set is looking to be the best out of a long line of makes and manufactures including the original Avon's. Will follow up with a detailed road test. Daily commute riding and cross county riding. Got a feeling it is going to be all good.

My opinion of the Avon Chromes and balancing the back tire has left me very impressed. Front tire to follow but looking at the trend design and the quality of the tires can easily say this set is looking to be the best out of a long line of makes and manufactures including the original Avon's. Will follow up with a detailed road test. Daily commute riding and cross county riding. Got a feeling it is going to be all good.
I personally want to see how you feel after a few weeks commuting, shame you don't see many curves though.

I found the Cobra original (front) fine when new, but it wore very asymmetrically and frighteningly fast at the end. To be fair it was VERY hot weather, I was fast cornering and the road surface was aggressive; but even so, 1mm of rubber in 100kms was serious.

Back