Can’t find replacement Avon Cobra rear tire. Suggestions.

Dvrocket3gt

Standard Bore
Ride
2022 Rocket 3GT
Hi all, I have just under 4,000 miles on my 22 GT and need new tires but can’t find the rear in the stock 240/50R16 size anywhere here in the U.S. seems to be a problem with Avon and Triumph said to work with my local dealer. The local dealer isn’t very helpful so wanted to ask what other owners are doing to tires. Metzler’s ME 888 Marathon is the only tire in that size I can find. It seems more like just a long running average tire that won’t provide as much grip or stability as the Avon Cobra. I hate to give up any handling as we do 99% of our riding in the Smoky Mountains on curvy and hilly roads. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks, DV

I read somewhere that the Avon factory closed down. I would imagine that may be a reasonable explanation of why you can't find them so easily. I could be wrong though.

I'm unsure of the new model rockets however, a lot of us here opt for the Bridgestone Exedra Max tire in the 240/55R16 size. They fit very well on my 2015 Roadster. All the online tire shops say they don't fit our rockets but I can confirm they do fit and perform very well. I ride in the Colorado Rockies where often I ride over random gravel on the roads, lots of twists, and absurd weather. I wouldn't ever switch to another rear tire since finding this diamond of a tire. Best part is its significantly cheaper than the Avons and Metzelers.

I read somewhere that the Avon factory closed down. I would imagine that may be a reasonable explanation of why you can't find them so easily. I could be wrong though.

I'm unsure of the new model rockets however, a lot of us here opt for the Bridgestone Exedra Max tire in the 240/55R16 size. They fit very well on my 2015 Roadster. All the online tire shops say they don't fit our rockets but I can confirm they do fit and perform very well. I ride in the Colorado Rockies where often I ride over random gravel on the roads, lots of twists, and absurd weather. I wouldn't ever switch to another rear tire since finding this diamond of a tire. Best part is its significantly cheaper than the Avons and Metzelers.
Yep, much cheaper, handles better in dry or rainy conditions and lasts longer than the Avon or Metzeler.

The Exedra Max goes on the 2.5s with a very easy adaptation. It's the clear choice even if the Cobras were still available- which they are not.

Back