Mechanical Cam Chain Tensioners

Power-Tripp

Turbocharged
For those wanting a mechanical cam chain tensioner for 955, 1050, and R3 engines, contact A.P.E. Racing and order tensioner part number ST750 (USD $51.65) and gasket EC065 (USD $2.95).

Suzuki Cam Chain Tensioners

GSXR ZONE - Sprockets and tensioners

It has taken a while to get this all worked out, but they are available.

This is the same tensioner as used on the 86-92 GSXR-750

I hope this helps.

After talking with you and seeing the stock CCT weaknesses, this should be a must-do!
Do these come with instructions for how and when to adjust?
I can see someone that doesn't know what they are doing (me perhaps?) doing more harm than good with this.

After talking with you and seeing the stock CCT weaknesses, this should be a must-do!
Do these come with instructions for how and when to adjust?
I can see someone that doesn't know what they are doing (me perhaps?) doing more harm than good with this.

These come with instruction on instalation.
I normally recommend checking this every time you change the oil, as it takes about 10 seconds to adjust. If you take your R3 to the drag strip a quick check befor and after is a good idea as well.

Simply loosten the lock nut, screw the bolt in until it touches, then back off 1/4 turn. Tighten lock nut. All done.

All you are doing is taking up slack from wear and chain stretch. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE BOLT, just take up the slack

The folks at APE sent me this link for guidence as to the installation procedure:
GSX-R SRAD cam chain tensioner replacement : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

Not as easy as I hoped it would be. Is all this disassembly in link necessary, Wayne?

It is much easier to install and adjust the tensioner on the R3.
But you do need to drain/remove the tank, remove the sparkplug leads, remove 2 coils and bracket on the frame, and remove the valve cover. Remove 1 sparkplug from each cylinder, remove the crankshaft inspection cover, and bring cylinder #1 to TDC.

Update on APE part number

Question to APE:
Is there any difference between your part # TT2300 and your part # ST750? I purchased a ST750 for my 2005 Triumph Rocket 3 a while back on the recommendation of Wayne Tripp at Powertripp Performance, but I see you are listing a new part number for that application now. I have not installed the ST750 yet, and need to know if I need to send it back and get the TT2300 instead.
Thanks!
Bobby

To answer your question: depending on how recently you purchased your ST750.

We recently discovered that some of the Triumph motors which take the TT2300 tensioner have small flats on either side of the tensioner mounting hole. We now make both ST750 AND TT2300 with the flats milled on the side. The two tensioners are now identical (and have been for about 4 months.) Not all Triumph motors have these flats and so an old-style ST750 will usually fit. I've attached a photograph that helps explain. This is a photo of a 2000 Triumph S3 955i. The arrows are pointing at the flats cast in the motor. If you bought your ST750 before we changed the design, and you have these flats cast in your motor, then you will need a TT2300.

If your motor does not have these flats in the mounting hole then both the old style and the new style ST750 are correct for you.

Ben Eshbach, APE Tech Support

Attachments

• 955i.jpg
    955i.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 215
  • APE tensioner.jpg
    APE tensioner.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 224
Back