Engine Overhauling - Cam replacement

Currently replacing cams with a set of street cams from the man in the shed. Running Paul's three into one complete exhaust and Ramair. My entire goal from the get go on mods to the bike is to increase the low end and mid range without affecting reliability. I would get with the man in the shed and talk to him. He is extremely sharp and very helpful in such manners as this.

Currently replacing cams with a set of street cams from the man in the shed. Running Paul's three into one complete exhaust and Ramair. My entire goal from the get go on mods to the bike is to increase the low end and mid range without affecting reliability. I would get with the man in the shed and talk to him. He is extremely sharp and very helpful in such manners as this.
Ahhh…, right now I understand who is the "man in the shed", it´s Paul:). I am great admirer of his works, especially of his manifolds. But I guess that Downunder would be too far away from here...

Nevertheless, I generally felt absolutely fine with my Rockets performance. With triple K&N, empty catbox
and a custom mapping the engine had some 150 hp on the dyno. I bought the 10,5:1 compression pistons, awaiting that my old pistons were worn and that I needed new ones. Those from JE were by far less expensive, including shipping and taxes etc., than the stock pistons. And by chance I red the posting of Ulf Penner with his idea of a mild tuning cam. As I could get a stock ex-cam for little money I thought it could be a good idea to help the new high compression pistons to make their job granting more time for air intake.
Georg

To be honest what with new pistons etc - I'd think hard about new wet liners too. Where's Scott? - @warp9.9
That`s what I thought as well at the beginning. But my mechanic says, the liners still are in perfect condition as well as the rest of the engine. No wear could be measured.
You must know, I mainly ride long distances, only stop for fueling or a cigarette. And no revs above 3000/min before the engine´s oil is warm.
Btw. the clutch pads still have 60% of their original thickness.
Georg

@Neville Lush not Paul. I am not a fan of the high compression pistons. Nothing wrong with it just not a fan.
IMG_0641.JPG

Am of fan of these pretty looking items. Should do the trick. It is not so much the wear on the pads but the condition of the springs. Recently replaced the clutch and had plenty of pad left on the plates but the springs were shot. Went in with a complete Barnett Clutch pack and it made a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neville Lush not Paul. I am not a fan of the high compression pistons. Nothing wrong with it just not a fan. IMG_0641.JPG Am of fan of these pretty looking items. Should do the trick. It is not so much the wear on the pads but the condition of the springs. Recently replaced the clutch and had plenty of pad left on the plates but the springs were shot. Went in with a complete Barnett Clutch pack and it made a big difference.
I am not a fan of high compression as well. But on one side, there were no pistons available with stock compression of 8,7:1, and on the other side 10,5 seems not be too much to me. And the pistons from JE are of forged quality, better than the stock ones, I hope. As they are slightly lighter than the stock pistons I decided to get the crankshaft, the balancer and the flywheel balanced.

Even though the clutch was comparatively fine, I decided to take new, 15% stronger springs, new pads and new steel plates, as the steel plates did have some wear. I guess that the wear of the steel plates was the reason for some "klong" noise of the gearbox during the last 20,000 km, when switching the first gear directly after cold start.
Georg

After i get the cams installed and tuned i will post my results. With the exhaust system i have on the bike matched with the cams it should be very interesting to see what gains are made in the low end and mid range. Granted will have more power in the top end but that is not my objective. We seem to share a common ground here and it has been my pleasure talking to you this morning. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am not a fan of high compression as well. But on one side, there were no pistons available with stock compression of 8,7:1, and on the other side 10,5 seems not be too much to me. And the pistons from JE are of forged quality, better than the stock ones, I hope. As they are slightly lighter than the stock pistons I decided to get the crankshaft, the balancer and the flywheel balanced.
Be aware that MAY upset the amount of "cranking" power you need from the starter. Fit fatter wires to Earth and Starter.

Back