Longest Life rear tire for Roadster?

IdahoRenegade

.060 Over
Ride
Previously-2012 Rocket Roadster
Yes, I know there are lots of tire threads. And yes, I have searched them. Most seem far more focused on handling and performance than life. Stock Metzler is terrible for life, at 6k or so for a tire and $300 a tire, I would have to sell the bike-can't afford the $$ or time to deal with replacing a tire every 2-3 months. I understand the Bridgestone Excedra Max is about the longest lasting, but I haven't seen much on how many miles riders are getting with them. If you are running them (or Cobras if they actually do better for life) please post how many miles you are getting out of a one.

I commute 100 miles a day and ride weekends, so 2-3k a month is typical. I want to see at least 15k miles out of a back tire. I just threw on a Darkside last week. I love the cost, expect I will love the life, but don't care that much for the handling. It wanders with uneven road surfaces (especially on dirt roads) and takes effort to hold against a crowned road. Not bad and manageable, but noticeable. I'd prefer a round tire, but if I can't get 15-20k out of one I'll stay square.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I ride about the same. Bought a Rocket X in Oct and now have real close to 14,000 miles. Replaced tires at 6,500 miles with Avon Cobras. The Avon's are holding up better than the Metzler's but do not see getting getting 15-20k out of them. Reality is about 10,000 miles. Good tires for handling and overall riding. Not bad traction on wet roads, just have to watch tire pressure because if the front tire gets a little low it will wobble at low speeds. Running around 40 psi in both tires. Thought about running a car tire but I will stick with the Avon's. Would really like to run Michelin's but they do not make a back tire for the Roadster. Been running Michelin's on my Harley Fatboy and average around 12 to 13k on them. Kind of refreshing to hear of someone else who actually rides.

I do not think you will find any rear motorcycle tire that gives you 15,000 miles. I think about 10,000 with the Exedra Max to be about the maximum. The beast is so heavy and has so much torque at the rear wheel, it's just the nature of the beast to wear tires fast.

When I bought mine Feb/15 the fella I bought it from said: well, now just save your money for gas, tires and oil, and tires, and gas and tires, and tires :whitstling: ................... YUP

Yeah, you need about 1000 miles on the bike to build the muscle memory with the darkside tire. My first one lasted 29k and the second lasted 32k miles.

Sell the bike if you can't afford to keep it roadworthy. Mileage from any tyre is variable and depends on how and where you ride. Accelerating less aggressively and maybe even starting in second gear will improve mileage. So far you seem to have only tried one of the things that make riding a Rocket less enjoyable.

Yes, I know there are lots of tire threads. And yes, I have searched them. Most seem far more focused on handling and performance than life. Stock Metzler is terrible for life, at 6k or so for a tire and $300 a tire, I would have to sell the bike-can't afford the $$ or time to deal with replacing a tire every 2-3 months. I understand the Bridgestone Excedra Max is about the longest lasting, but I haven't seen much on how many miles riders are getting with them. If you are running them (or Cobras if they actually do better for life) please post how many miles you are getting out of a one.

I commute 100 miles a day and ride weekends, so 2-3k a month is typical. I want to see at least 15k miles out of a back tire. I just threw on a Darkside last week. I love the cost, expect I will love the life, but don't care that much for the handling. It wanders with uneven road surfaces (especially on dirt roads) and takes effort to hold against a crowned road. Not bad and manageable, but noticeable. I'd prefer a round tire, but if I can't get 15-20k out of one I'll stay square.

Thanks.
Looks like you will be staying square:D

It isn't the Metzler. They are soft. Just got an Exedra Max. Let you know in 10K miles.

Back