How To: Fit Carpenter Racing 210/240/265hp Kit (Inc. Dialling In Cams)

If your going the 550 injector route ensure you’ve a TuneECU tuner nearby, otherwise I’d suggest just going with PC-V, as you said it’s most tuners comfort zone.

I have a suitable big injector base map, but You’ll need to get it tuned because I don’t run the carpenter exhaust, and I have higher compression than is normally done in the 240 kit.

The 550s are technically slightly too small for the 265 kit, and slightly oversized for the 240, to fall within 80% duty cycle. I see 88-89% with ~245 whp.
So I spoke with Carpenter, and have a few things I think fit here. Please move/remove this post if not as I do not intend to muck up this thoroughly awesone thread.

There is an option for 13:1 pistons. The 240 kit comes with 11.5:1. Thoughts on this?

The APE cam chain tensioner comes with the kit. Is this what everyone has had good experience with?

Are the APE head bolts necessary?

Also, according to Carpenter, if I use larger injectors I will still need a PCV?

The APE tensioner is good.

Higher compression builds make more torque below torque peak and will get a little better MPG. Top end power will be marginally better. The trade off is cranking pressure increases, meaning, you’ve a smaller margin before detonation. Higher octane and 7 range plugs will help.

Head bolts are a good idea. If you ever need to replace the head gasket, or replace a piston etc, they’ll pay for themselves the first time you reuse them.

On the PC-V... I respectfully disagree, frankly I’m not surprised he’d say that. My personal position is that you should get a PC-V for a variety of reasons, but it could be done without if done right.

I have my bike, I have my logs, I have the duty cycles required. I know the Black Ops 550s (which were actually flowed at 558/559/559 when tested), are “just” over max duty cycle that TuneECU can command at peak power on a 265 high comp bike, on a 240 they’ll “just” slot in perfectly.

Clearly I’m wrong though:
72E42F34-B5F2-4709-9244-F3BE2BFE5105.png

Aren't your Carpenter kits RWHP rated albeit with race fuel etc but your Injector screen shot states 'Target Crank HP'? Wouldn't it be higher than 275 HP at crank for your bike's max fueling?

275 at the crank would be approx 245 at the rear wheel. I am a little reluctant to get involved here, but have found the stock fuel pump is at its limit at about 235+ at the tyre. Stock injectors pretty much maxed out at 240-250 (with a good pump). I have 1000cc injectors which fit but straight on and are fantastic to map down low for the HP/boost junky.

wow!!! i did not understand any of that but wished all you guys lived in the same street as me be like winning the lottery :D

I don’t want to stray too far from the original topic, but... on the subject of injectors.

This is where you run into a couple of limitations of using the stock ECU, but you can get around it, for those who want to pick their own parts.

The two factors you cannot adjust that would be amazing are injector dead time and the enrichment fueling table.

Injector Dead Time: this is the time it takes for injector to go from closed to open, a period of time where the ECU has commanded fuel to flow but it’s not yet. Getting this number right is important, if effects fueling at all conditions.
If it’s set to a number lower in the ECU than the actual physical dead time of the injector you’re using, the values in the fueling table will be higher than they technically should be because the injector is still opening while the ECU expects it to be spraying fuel.
If it’s set higher in the ECU than the physical opening time of your injectors, you’ll need to subtract fuel from the tables slightly because it takes the injector less time to open than the ECU expects.

As a result, you may replace 300 cc injectors with 400 cc injectors, and do the math and reduce fuel tables by the percentage. Start the bike and it runs too lean or too rich. It’s because of an injector dead time mismatch. You can cover up the problem by getting a FULL remap, optimally though, you be able to set dead times. Some of the other effects are when does the ECU start injecting? If dead time is off, the start of that injection event will be miss-timed.

The 550s I have are a VERY low opening time. I knew that going in so reduced the tables by 38%, sure enough it ran my stock motor back in 2015 pretty **** well setup like that.

Here’s how some companies size your injectors:

Injector flow (in lb/hr) = (BSFC x Engine HP) / (number of injectors x max duty cycle)

Examples:

(0.65bsfc x 300hp) (3injectors x .8duty cycle) = 52lb/hr

That’s how I KNOW 53lbs is enough without a PC-V using TuneECU, the rockets not .65 bsfc, more like .5-.55 But how claviger?!

(270 x .5) / (3 x 1) = 45 lb/hr (472cc)

390cc stockers @ 100% duty = 470cc...

Makes sense right?

Now enrichment... another time this is already long.

So these higher compression rod / piston kits are the same weight as the stock parts? I don'e ever hear about people re-balancing the entire rotating assembly because a change of bob weight

Reportedly they are the same, but I can't comment on how accurate their weighting tolerance is.

If you need a re balance in the US, FALICON is who I'd use, kind of the industry leader for crank work in the country.

Back