How To: Fit Carpenter Racing 210/240/265hp Kit (Inc. Dialling In Cams)

Couple of questions for you fellas:

1. For those that removed the pistons from the crank, did you plastigage the bearings when you reinstalled them?

Always

2. Since you great lads already have a tunecu and PCV tune would it be best to do the 70 mile break in and then take it to the dyno?

Trailer to Dyno, break in there. You can't do the mentioned break in procedure on the street properly (though I'm sure a few have done so, the best they could).

3. Did you use a ring gap grinder on the rings? And, is the gap what the manual says, or does CP/Carpenter have different gaps? Reason I ask, I dont have one! There only like $50 bucks, but thought id ask...

There are various ways to tackle ring end gaps, I know how I'll do it on Scar, a bench mounted gap grinder, set to whatever CP directs based on specific application.

4. In this post there was some mention of top of piston finish? Never heard of this before. Can someone elaborate?

There are various coatings you can have applied to the piston and finishes. Over the last few years the options have increased. There's a top coating that's a copper color which is designed to help reflect heat back into the chamber some, and a black colored side skirt coating with moly designed to reduce friction/wear. Neither are a bad idea.

Il be putting her baxk together soon, just wanna be ready! Cant wait to see what Ive been missing!

Question/clarification on valve timing: from what I am reading these measurements .110 intake and .095 exhaust are at OVERLAP? (At TDC at the end of the exhaust stroke?)

These are the amount of lift on the intake and exhaust valves of any cylinder when that cylinder's piston is at TDC, between exhaust and intake strokes.

The valve events are overlapping at this point, however overlap is expressed in degrees (how many degrees of the crank that the intake and exhaust valves are both 'open' for).

You are correct, the exhaust valve is near the end of its closing movement. And intake valve is just starting to open.

ooh have they changed? please do tell bro!
17-20nm per Carpenter. 150-177 in lbs. Torque on the cam gear bolts.

You probably twisted your crank that 0.5° from thrashing it so much :D

My TDC mark was actually spot on, i'd verified it (& #2 & #3 also) with the dial indicator before fitting the head. i'm a bit OCD like that
In fact had a degree wheel on standby but tossed it as i didn't use it after (you only need to know Cyl#1 TDC)

Hi there! Great post! I didn't see anything about the PCV install. More specifically, should the crank pos sensor harness be connected for these particular maps from carpenter? Because uhhh, mine's not. The PCV install manual says it should be, but I'm wondering if it is necessary with these maps.

Thanks!

Hi there! Great post! I didn't see anything about the PCV install. More specifically, should the crank pos sensor harness be connected for these particular maps from carpenter? Because uhhh, mine's not. The PCV install manual says it should be, but I'm wondering if it is necessary with these maps.

Thanks!
Yes it needs to be hooked up.

I've reached out to @Neville Lush to inquire about a piston and cam replacement for the Roadster and remembered this fine article as a future resource for when I'm ready to venture into, for me, what are un-chartered waters.

@R-III-R Turbo you may not even be aware, but tinypic is out of business, so all the photos you posted, which would be invaluable to me along with your text, have disappeared. You've already put an enormous amount of work into sharing this information with us, but I hope you will consider editing your original post to, once again, include the photographs.... please, pretty, please.

Thanks

I've reached out to @Neville Lush to inquire about a piston and cam replacement for the Roadster and remembered this fine article as a future resource for when I'm ready to venture into, for me, what are un-chartered waters.

@R-III-R Turbo you may not even be aware, but tinypic is out of business, so all the photos you posted, which would be invaluable to me along with your text, have disappeared. You've already put an enormous amount of work into sharing this information with us, but I hope you will consider editing your original post to, once again, include the photographs.... please, pretty, please.

Thanks

I will do dude, thanks for the heads up. Will add them to this site as media so they don't disappear again. Good luck with your build!

Back