Hot Rear Brakes

4500psi pump will shift that :whitstling:

Even if fluid seems to moving without restriction? 4500 will take your skin off. Maybe a few hours in an ultrasound bath will work. When I take it apart I will have the shop clean it, OK? Where in the reservoir would the restriction be? Just take the reservoir off to clean too :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
anytime the brake pedal is stopped before it can totally retract it can store pressure.
not adjusted properly. some thing catching / piston not returning. ect

any time u use the brakes they r going to get hot.
how hot r they getting that is the question?

i have a thermometer but my rear tire is smooth as a baby's but:(

I had the rear master cylinder just seize up solid one day.
I had been out riding with no problems, came home parked the bike, then later went to put the bike away and found that the rear brake pedal was SOLID !
When I stripped everything, and of coarse this was the last thing that I found, I found that the rear brake line had been assembled incorrectly at the Factory.
How, or why it worked just fine for all these years (2006) with out any problems I'll never know :eek:

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

anytime the brake pedal is stopped before it can totally retract it can store pressure.
not adjusted properly. some thing catching / piston not returning. ect

any time u use the brakes they r going to get hot.
how hot r they getting that is the question?

i have a thermometer but my rear tire is smooth as a baby's but:(

Ever thought that perhaps Rick rides motor like a left foot driver?

Lookie heereee what I found.

FORUM Seized rear caliper, boiling brake fluid

Discussion in 'Rocket III Resources' started by alpental, Nov 20, 2016

Here's the link to that Seized rear caliper, boiling brake fluid

I've only rebuilt a front Master Cylinder on a different Triumph, but it was pretty easy. You could change the seals and pistons and see what happens, or go ahead and get a rebuild kit for the rear MC and do everything at once- possibly save some brake fluid, if the MC was the problem. My wife's pads locked up on one of her car's wheels and the caliper got super hot, just like yours. I replaced the rotor, calipers, pads, and brake fluid and that took care of it. I think your caliper rebuild is going to set you right again. Let us know.

Here's the link to that Seized rear caliper, boiling brake fluid

I've only rebuilt a front Master Cylinder on a different Triumph, but it was pretty easy. You could change the seals and pistons and see what happens, or go ahead and get a rebuild kit for the rear MC and do everything at once- possibly save some brake fluid, if the MC was the problem. My wife's pads locked up on one of her car's wheels and the caliper got super hot, just like yours. I replaced the rotor, calipers, pads, and brake fluid and that took care of it. I think your caliper rebuild is going to set you right again. Let us know.

I'm glad that this happened here and not going downhill in MV:eek: The plan is to rebuild the rear caliper, insert a new set of pads and go ride the bike. If it squeals, ill install a new rear disc and rebuild the master cylinder. I say disc because the disc might be warped and brushing when the pads are let go. I bought it used. Is an EBC disc OK?

My only doubt right now is the issue of cleaning the grooves. I am guessing these groves are where the new seals will rest. Are there any other "grooves" I need to worry about? The reservoir is clean and fluid comes out easy so I don't get that part of the deal. Ill probably take it to my dealer and ask them to give it a blast of air or cleaner.

Once I can fix the back, I'm going to tackle rebuilding the front calipers before they start sticking. Loosing the front would be really bad. Just waiting for the parts to come from England. Guys, thanks for all the help. For me tinkering with the bike is half the fun. Was able to get the throttle control issue with your help, I'm sure we'll get the bike to stop as it should.

Last edited:
I had the rear master cylinder just seize up solid one day.
I had been out riding with no problems, came home parked the bike, then later went to put the bike away and found that the rear brake pedal was SOLID !
When I stripped everything, and of coarse this was the last thing that I found, I found that the rear brake line had been assembled incorrectly at the Factory.
How, or why it worked just fine for all these years (2006) with out any problems I'll never know :eek:

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

WTF, did you ever have rear brakes?! In the vascular world we call that a dissection.

Back