Hot Rear Brakes

Well, the rear end is OK now, however the front is a mess. Left front disc hot, right disc cold = baaad.
IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0641.JPG
Front pads, front seals and two of the pistons.

IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0640.JPG
Hardware, new ware. The calipers are going into an ultrasound bath tomorrow.

This is what I learned. The bike will stop and the pads look like they have meat, OK? Nooo. Not so fast. On the left caliper only one piston was working. On the right two were working, meaning they would compress. If your seals are more that 5 years or 30K miles old, they need changing. Regardless of how the pads look. When you change the pads, remove the calipers and check and see if you can compress them all the way in by hand. Making a habit to spray and rinse the calipers well every 500 to 1000 miles is not a bad idea. If your discs have play when you rotate them back and forth and wobble when you depress them towards and away from the forks, you need discs. It took me 1 hour to remove and disassemble the front calipers. Not bad for a half blind novice. YOU CAN DO IT! The shop will not. They will look at the pads and say, you need new pads.

BTW, all this started when I installed the new CT. :laugh::laugh:

IMG_0580.JPG

Update. Caliper parts cleaned, greased and reassembled. New pads went on. Air got into the right side brake line and it was a pain to get it out but it did get out. Out for a ride. Left disc hot, right side not so. :thumbsdown: Slow long stops for 1/2 tank. Grip and mushiness better and better with each stop. Discs at even temperatures when I got home. Will go do some more slow stops tomorrow and see how it goes.

Next is the Valkyrie.

Back