Help identifying 2006 version please!

mjensen2k

.020 Over
I'm very much interested in a R3 Roadster. I haven't ridden in a while and previously were smaller displacements enduros and sport bikes, so I'm a bit concerned about the size. Of course my size and age are larger and my hair is gone. :) This bike seems perfectly suited to my personality.

I do not want the touring bike with the bags, windshield, etc. etc. I want the rocket stripped down.

I love the 2010, but my feet aren't flat and it feels wide, etc. I then found a 2006 for like $6,700 locally. It fits me better. My feet are solid on the ground, etc.

I'm not sure, though, which version it is as things seem rather confusing as I read wiki, etc. Can I get some help?

There are no bags, no windshield, etc. indicating it is not a cruiser. The engine is silver, not black, if that matters. No floor boards. There is a seat for a second person, but no sissy bar/back rest/rack.

One website lists it as a 'tourer', yet the sales man called it a Classic. Yet he claims 100 HP vs. the 140. I'm so confused! Can anyone help me identify which machine I'm dealing with?

BTW, almost secondarily, is 42k miles! Seems like a lot for a motorcycle, but this isn't any old motorcycle. Huge 3 cylinder 2300cc monster with shaft drive and EFI. Can this thing have another 20k left in it? I don't plan on cross country trips, but regular commuting/fun.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm very much looking forward to joining the R3 crowd!

Mike

It sounds like it is the standard model, I have a 2005 std with 50000 trouble free miles on it.
The classic had more pulled back handlebars and factory installed floor boards
Here is a picture of my 2005 std model I fitted the floor boards (rivco)myself.

Welcome to the site Mike.
If it has pegs, it's a standard.
i'd say the mileage ain't no big deal.
Just broke in good.
I'd get her, change the oil, change the antifreeze, and ride her.

The confusion starts on Triumphs end.
There was the "TOURER" which was the classic with all the options,
flat floorboards, windshield, leather bags, sissy bar/luggage rack.
the "classic" without ALL the options,
and the striped down "standard" model.
Then Triumph came up with the "TOURING".
Same motor, different everything else.
Now the Roadster, which is pretty much a standard with the pegs back further,
near as I can tell.
I think thats about right, if not,
somebody will come along here directly and straighten us both out.;)
Again, WELCOME,
get the used one and ride..
No use paying for new when you're gonna change stuff anyway.....
An you will...
skip

There are a few classics around with pegs, go figure. remember there were some pics recently? Two tone paint? Then it's definitely a Classic. Until Triumph came out with the R3T, I'd say all were cruisers, Classics with bars just pulled back a little. Right on Skip, just saw the stripe comment.

Lets hear some high milage tales.

Also, you need to know if the headlight relay has been done! It fries ignition switches.

Just reread the opening post myself,
an I'd say the 100 hp the dealer quoted you Mike was a conservative estimate.
He's probably telling you the truth in the fact Triumph says 140 hp,
but they're measuring it off the crank, not the rear wheel.
I'd say upper 120's would be about right at the rear wheel.
just a guess tho, and believe it or not, and I may be wrong here,
but it seems like the "classic" had two tone paint, where the standard was single color.
Best I can remember.
somebody with a better memory chime in here please, if you remember.
ride safe whatever you decide on.
skip

Mike ask if the upgrade kit on the tranny has been done.

Also any standard from 04 to 09 will sit the same. The Roadster has a different seat which raises the rider so if your wanting a Roadster all you have to do is change the seat and the mounting plate out. The Peg rails can also be change to standar or Classic style's.
Personall I would go for a new 09 as there are still some around at dealers!!
Enjoy

I agree with all the above. Get the standard. The Roadster claims more power but there seems to be some doubt and the riding position is less cruiser. In any case, for under $1000 (more like $600-$700) you can turn a standard into a real power cruiser, and spend a few hundred more on some luxuries like seat, bars etc. A lot of stuff you can get second hand and all the info you need is on this site (or you can ask specific questions).

The engine in the R3T is essentially the same as the Standard/Classic/Roadster but I understand has been tuned to give less horsepower but more torque and better suited to heavier loads and longer trips.

Thanks!

Here's a link (if the forum lets newbies): 2006 TRIUMPH ROCKET III for sale in Scottsdale, Arizona - CycleTrader.com

In case that helps.

I figure the engine is obviuosly the same across them. Frankly I don't know if 100 vs. 120 vs. 140hp matters that much to me. The torque is the same, as I understand and it just feels so good! I'm going back on Wednesday to try make the deal.

They just did the 40k service with new oil and ensuring the brakes and all are up to speed. I'll ask about the items listed above witht he lights and the tranny.

I'm very excited and frankly don't know if I care much about what version it is, but it is curious and confusing.

I'm an engineer so want to know absolutely everything about it. Right now what I know is much more soulful. The look, the feel, the stance, the BEAST. :)

I hope the above link still works. If not, check out cycletrader.com and look for a Rocket III in Scottsdale, AZ. BTW, they raised the price since I started talking with them. I emailed my sales rep on that... I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, also, for the confidence on the high mileage.

I'm so excited. :) If the link/pics help identify what model I'm looking at, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Mike in AZ

pics mean everything.

That is a very early model '06 Standard in pretty much stock form. Pegs, 2 piece seat, standard bars.

In '06 the Standards had black engines, however, some early models were available with the silver engine. My '06 Standard has the black engine.

The numbers on the engine in stock form are 140 hp and 147 ft-lb torque.

Back