Wow what a trip. Ride every day. Like the HJC helmets. Good price and good quality. Never test rode one if you know what i mean:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: No bragging rights on expensive #rap but it is dot approved. After about 2 cleanings on pads replace them . Still fits good after about 5 years.

Now - oddly- the plugs seemed to have me riding smoother and more attentive. Balance/control felt better. Now this surprised me - I know noise can actually be detrimental to concentration (locked in a room with servers I need plugs to concentrate at work). But physical confidence ??

Now this may be a bit of smoke'n'mirror effect. It's something I did notice on the run to the UK last year but I put it down to being in "long range" mode. I know I ride differently on planned long runs - not slower, often actually faster - but mates who've ridden with me say I'm quite different - very much more predictable.

But it's enough for me to start using the plugs for anything except popping to the village for bread.
-------------------------------------
Yeah' It's not smoke, Using Flare, Isolate Aluminum. I leave them in their pouch hanging on the bike when I stop. They have become a routine except the around the block warm up ride.

Was sensitive to chatter @ work too. Never put on plugs at work though. :eek:

Now - oddly- the plugs seemed to have me riding smoother and more attentive. Balance/control felt better. Now this surprised me - I know noise can actually be detrimental to concentration (locked in a room with servers I need plugs to concentrate at work). But physical confidence ??
So it's not just me. I would add faster too.

So it's not just me. I would add faster too.
Of course you would add faster with earplugs you would have 2 extra fingers to use to start with. ;):p:D:whitstling::whitstling:

FINGERSINEARS.jpg

5 years is fine if you're a relatively infrequent rider - it is more to do with fit - if it feels loose - then you're right - time for a new one. I find these days 5 years is about when they loosen - back when I rode daily - 3 years tops. tbh I think the ON/OFF cycle is what screws the fit - more than actual use...

Yes, but in your particular case, Graybeard, methinks there's some shrinkage of the coconut which accounts for a good deal of that loosening...:roll:

So - I've resurrected this as I have noticed summat which MAY assist some with the initial point of this thread - Helmet Noise.

I generally ride ATGATT. But like many, I suspect, a lot of my riding is done in comfy-er Cordura based stuff. I don't mean flappy gear - which I do not like - just not leather.

Following the couple of "offs" we had on the forum - and especially after seeing Frank @laraza Jacket and Kevlar assisted jeans - I have been slowly returning to the old school of wearing dead animal skin.

Last week I was out in leather bib'n'braces and a Frank Thomas jacket and today (as it was a bit warmer) Vanson 2-pce.

Now this may sound loony - but I'll swear that I experience less helmet noise in good well (that is to say close-ish) fitting leathers. Last week I was surprised but thought maybe it was all the extra internal padding. But the Vanson is just mesh lined. I have been wondering how I have not realised/noticed before - and it may be that I now ALWAYS ride with FLARE ear plugs, so do not arrive with my ears ringing (except for existing Tinnitus).

Has anybody else noticed anything similar?

Standard leather has it's issues.
Abso-Fcuking-lutely.

Careful with side buckles - 37 years ago I had a fairly serious thump - was wearing really good gear (my dad insisted) - but the buckles were pushed under and gouged out a fistful of flesh at my waist.

I'm looking like fury for a decent leather "Belstaff Trials" type jacket with good exterior pockets.
Tried one on in the UK (Merlin Hatton) but it was restrictive around the bum.

Having to wear a leather vest over the Vanson Jacket just to have pockets is wearing a bit thin.

Back