Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
This spring the wife and I decided to get full face helmets for safety reasons. Since we both have long heads like the creature in the "Alien" movie, we went with Arai as they have a special line of long helmets. Real happy with them except they really amplify the sound of the exhaust. My Rocket isn't terribly loud with the Maddogs on it, but it's annoyingly loud with the full face. Even the old Valkyrie I'm riding till my rockets fixed is loud in these helmets, and it has stock exhaust. Anyone else have this problem ?

Just get a set of ear plugs,that's what a few of my Harley rider friends do. :ninja: I just picked up a killer set of head phones from Bose QC-35's:thumbsup:. After a noisy ride put these head phones on you'll think you died and went to heaven. They block out all noise and let you just hear the music. They were a little pricey but i have a friend that works at Bose got 50% off...:inlove

My HJC helmets have a lot of wind noise, buffeting and rattle. Old helmets are C12 and new helmets are IS16. Nice helmets but very noisy.

I got a couple of Shoei RF1200 helmets recently. Absolutely quiet and no buffeting at all.

I have a Bell Race Star helmet and its a quiet helmet. I don't need ear plugs but wear them on long trips for extra hearing protection. The Bell star line before this helmet was very loud but they improved on this line.

You might want to look in a windjammer. I've never wore one but I bet it would block out the exhaust noise. Might be a little hot wearing it but don't know for sure.

The Shark Full Face helmets (I have Carbon Pro) are so far the quietes I have had but the modular Evoline are a bit noisier and yet still quieter than other modulars like the Nolan

Just get a set of ear plugs,that's what a few of my Harley rider friends do. :ninja: I just picked up a killer set of head phones from Bose QC-35's:thumbsup:. After a noisy ride put these head phones on you'll think you died and went to heaven. They block out all noise and let you just hear the music. They were a little pricey but i have a friend that works at Bose got 50% off...:inlove
:confused:just a question how do you wear them inside a Helmet let alone a full face one :rolleyes::whitstling:;):):roll:

Fred - this thingy helped me on the long fast runs to/from UK. Motor Cycling - | Knee Support | Back Support | Face Masks - from Proline-sports.co.uk - In Winter also keeps you drier and warmer.

In the summer here - it generates perspiration. But much depends on how well the Arai vents OUT. Stopped using mine for now as I use a flip-front lid and with the Windjammer on I cant flip the front up. But for long hauls - it'll go back on together with earplugs.

Last edited:
I bought the Schubert C3 Pro for all their claims about the lowest decibels and best ventilation. Don't think so? After a year I lined the ear cups with the Dynomat and it helped a little. I also wear ear plugs if riding more than an hour. Then I even drilled some 3/8 inch diameter holes in the back to intercept the molded "air ducts" to try to create a low pressure and get more ventilation. No change.

I ride with a Corbin windshield and I wear glasses and one night i was fighting glare between them and the helmets visor, so at the next stop I took the visor off and stowed it in the pannier. I was totally surprised at how much quieter it was, and now ride without it all the time except rain. Simply raising the visor for whatever reason doesn't have the same effect.o_O Worth a try if you have a shield and glasses anyway?

Forced ventilation helmets generally fail miserably behind windscreens. Even if you add vents. They require a Bernoulli effect and cruiser screens kill or reverse it.
Schuberth work best in unrestricted Airstreams - I used one when I had my Buell. The screen on than blasted air straight at my visor.

The best venting fully protective lid I have had was the Givi X01 - but they stopped making the size that fitted me. For the now I use a Caberg Duke - not sold afaik in the US.
My wife has a Shark Evoline. Just feels too heavy for me.

Due for a new lid end of this year. Jury is still out.

Back