In what can only be described as "a surprise" - I was given a brand new set of the Flare Isolate Mini in Titanium.
So did a head to head against the Aluminum set I bought. And - I was honestly surprised - there is a difference.

Overall not a HUGE difference - but some frequencies very much reduced in Ti. Wind roar and zorst notably. Though tbh I think intake roar was better stifled by the Ali ones.
Enough difference to justify 100% more cost? - maybe.

The thing that stands out though is that the foam parts are not as intrusive as most plugs as they're really short. Time to experiment with different shaped/sized rods.
Interesting to see that there is a difference between the titanium and the aluminium. I find the foam is quite comfortable. I doesn't irritate me even after a full days ride. They are easily the best plugs I have tried.

I'm happy with the Flare Audios. Got the cheapo aluminum. Came with three different size foam plugs. The foam material is different. I get a consistent symmetric perfect fit every time. Have not been able to test them on a long ride or with the full face on. You can hear, but its all bone conduction.
These + ear muffs will be great at the range or the track.

What do you give a biker or shooter that has it all? Get'm a new pair :laugh: of ear plugs.

I bought a pair of the Flare Isolate just before the recent trip to "Wytheville" (in quotes, because we never made it to Wytheville).

In short, the plugs do work.

The long -- @Rocket Scientist and you other smart guys and gals -- the skeptic in me ain't buyin' that *anything* metal in your ear does *anything* to alter sound.

My suspicion is that the metal piece serves the same function as an applicator for tampons -- giving the fingers leverage for proper insertion -- plus, the foam used seems to be denser than the closed cell plugs I have been using.

So I wouldn't pay a penny more than the cheapest version I could find -- and at that, they probably make them for 7 cents, and we pay . . . $34.99 ??? Really ?

I concur, on the recent trip, as long as I took my time, and carefully inserted the plugs just so, they made a big (positive) difference in comfort relief from sound and I could wear them all day without difficulty.

Last edited:
Joe; did you try them on? I have used many of the available ear plugs in the market. The issue for me is that they rapidly loose their elastic properties and the fit is not perfect. The metallic portion's wide part stays outside the ear canal. The thin piece carries the foam plug. This plug is interchangeable and comes in many sizes. Have yet to see how many uses I can get out of a set of foams.

I bought the plugs just to see what they were. The noise while riding has never bothered me except while following some Harleys. Perhaps in a long riding day they will reduce fatigue.

Yes. Please reread my post.

They work, and I like them. I don't buy their mumbo jumbo about the role the metal stem plays, and they are way overpriced -- but I pay it because I can't stand the alternative.

I also purchased a pair of Eargasm plugs -- haven't tried them yet -- highly rated on Amazon, and cheaper than Isolate.

I personally don't think ANY earplugs are going to help my problem. I believe I could pour molten lead in my ears and let it cool and the noise will still be there. I believe my helmet transmits the exhaust frequency directly to my auditory nerves. I tried earplugs in Virginia. The foam E.A.R. plugs that I have been wearing for years at work. They cut the wind noise down to almost nothing. Anyone who was in Virginia knows the old Valk I was riding isn't loud, but in my full face helmet the drone from the engine was terrible (actually worse with the earplugs in). Especially about 3,000 rpm's, right where the engine is happiest. Just as bad as my Rocket, and the Rocket is quite a bit louder. I may have to try some different helmets and see if there is a difference.

I bought a pair of the Flare Isolate just before the recent trip to "Wytheville" (in quotes, because we never made it to Wytheville).

In short, the plugs do work.

The long -- @Rocket Scientist and you other smart guys and gals -- the skeptic in me ain't buyin' that *anything* metal in your ear does *anything* to alter sound.

My suspicion is that the metal piece serves the same function as an applicator for tampons -- giving the fingers leverage for proper insertion -- plus, the foam used seems to be denser than the closed cell plugs I have been using.

So I wouldn't pay a penny more than the cheapest version I could find -- and at that, they probably make them for 7 cents, and we pay . . . $34.99 ??? Really ?

I concur, on the recent trip, as long as I took my time, and carefully inserted the plugs just so, they made a big (positive) difference in comfort relief from sound and I could wear them all day without difficulty.
I agree. The price is far too high. However they work well.

They are very quiet. The shape holds the foam in place better than any other plugs I have tried. They don't fall out and don't put pressure on my ear canal.

The aluminium may be as good as the titanium plugs. I don't know.

I can wear them on an all day ride without them annoying me. I can't do that with any other ear plugs that I have tried.

I agree. The price is far too high. However they work well.

They are very quiet. The shape holds the foam in place better than any other plugs I have tried. They don't fall out and don't put pressure on my ear canal.

The aluminium may be as good as the titanium plugs. I don't know.

I can wear them on an all day ride without them annoying me. I can't do that with any other ear plugs that I have tried.

I agree with you and Joe. The metal does nothing but perch good foam in the outer canal.

Back